Key Equipment?

fireinthedust

Explorer
I'm putting together a list of the key D&D equipment!

What pieces of equipment can no adventurer live without?

Backpack
Rope
wineskin
healing potions
belt pouches
sack
thick gloves
10 ft pole
Healing Potions
Coins
...towel?

Any others?

not healing potions or coins IMO, you adventure to get magic and money. You don't start out with them so 'essential' they are not!

Iron Rations
Hammer and pitons
lantern and oil (lots!)
flint and tinder

just off the top of my head

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Light Source? Whether torches, candles or lantern.
Regardless of kind of light source:
flask(s) of oil
iron spikes
a cloak?
bedroll?
rations to eat.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Rope - 20 to 50 feet
A Pot - could be a cup but something to drink from or cook in
A Knife - nuff said
Fire - don't have fire, odds are not good for you

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Air
Water
Food
Clothes / armor to protect vs. environment
Light sources
Shelter - tent, blanket, etc.
An exit / someplace to excrete waste
Money / treasure to trade for stuff in civilization
Weapons for protection and attack
Tools for bypassing / removing obstacles
Portable storage containers
Ale & whores

Meatboy

First Post
Horse or peon. Honestly this looks like a big list of 'essentials' and considering I can't just toss everything into the back of a pick up truck I'd love to have someone else carry all my sh...stuff.

Loonook

First Post
A stout set of armour and a sharp sword. The world is your oyster after that. ;)

Sadly the whole world isn't down to shuck so you may need other things. The average character sheet looks like an episode of Hoarders unless you develop kits that are useful. I always thought that chalk, rope, a dagger, a simple toolbox including a hammer, prybar, wooden blocks, an punch, paper (preferably bound), a piece of lead, stout candles, spare materials for patching up the leather, and a good knowledge of what you can do with them were nice... Also you can never go wrong with a net and some sort of line can help, along with a basic pulley assembly kit for lifting objects like a block and tackle. Firemakers are also nice (though light sources would help with that) along with a sack of marbles and a mirror. High calorie rations are also ++good. And each member could bring along different other items (a compass, sextant, magnetized objects, flour, and other multipurposers).

If we're mounted? That's a whole nother ball of wax. Blankets, care kits for the livestock, sadfle, more rope, leads, reinforced stud chain, rations of hay and grain.. Most of which make for great improvised uses too.

I would love to have a group of people gather together and take their chosen items on a multiple-day journey with obstacles. Something like the Hundred Mile Wilderness or some of the larger caving complexes. Pick four people of roughly the same build and fitness as an adventuring party and see if they can navigate a semi-established trail. Would be a great charity event similar to some of the others going around; however, I want to also have them battle against encounters along the way. Obstacles, injuries, traps and puzzles and donate the money to some of our brethren and sisthren in the industry to help recoup medical expenses. Wish I had a line to the families of some of the people or a TV crew who could hike along and videotape them. Allow for use of "magic" by giving the party Mage the ability to help x amount of times for various effects, and the Cleric would be able to"raise" or "heal" a member as a sort of fresh "tag-in of a substitute. Imagine the patlrty battling against "orcs" (big brawny guys who use similar weaponry) or facing off against a group of Drow mercenaries in the caves (trained hunters with nightvision goggles who attack from ambush).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Remove ads