Kickstarter for Deadlands The Weird West Funded

Shane Hensley's seminal masterpiece of the Weird West is back and ready for Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE). Fully funded already, a royal flush!
Shane Hensley's seminal masterpiece of the Weird West is back and ready for Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE). Fully funded already, a royal flush!

Here's the description:

Deadlands is the long-awaited return to Pinnacle's oldest and most popular setting. First published in 1996, the original "Deadlands Classic" system won countless awards and its bold, bright orange books are still a striking and valuable addition to gaming shelves the world over.

Now that the tales of the Servitors have been told in their individual Plot Point Campaigns, Deadlands is returning to its roots with more local yarns of dread, terror, and violent action. The new edition and supplements to follow turn their baleful eyes from the world-shaking events of the Reckoning to isolated frontier towns or sinister machinations in the few larger settlements. The Twilight Legion must root out the evil that lurks in all-too-human souls, the lonesome hills nearby, or the dark woods at the edge of town.

To showcase the return to more personal tales of horror and adventure, we've created the Horror at Headstone Hill campaign set!

The campaign features a single county in Wyoming and the terrors that lurk in a booming mining town and environs. Your heroes roam about the map, interacting with the locals, solving mysteries, fighting abominations, and—with luck and a steady shootin' iron—eventually lower the "Fear Level." That's how you defeat the Reckoners' terrorforming, amigos, and Horror at Headstone Hill showcases it front and center.

Kickstarter_Deadlands_Weird_West.jpg

imagineGod

Legend
As a long time fan, I'm happy to see a new edition and will pledge at the $125 level. I'm hoping some of the changes to the setting will attract more players.
Hoards of players have always been attracted to Shane Hensley's Deadlands, just like to Monte Cook;s Cypher, just never in the swarms that descend upon anything D&D 5th Edition, especially the Critical Role books.

MGibster

Legend
Hoards of players have always been attracted to Shane Hensley's Deadlands, just like to Monte Cook;s Cypher, just never in the swarms that descend upon anything D&D 5th Edition, especially the Critical Role books.

It's a very niche game so I don't expect it to be anywhere near as popular as 5E or anything from Critical Role. I've got a group who loves playing it but I'd like to find more people in my area who might be interested as well.

imagineGod

Legend
It's a very niche game so I don't expect it to be anywhere near as popular as 5E or anything from Critical Role. I've got a group who loves playing it but I'd like to find more people in my area who might be interested as well.
Interestingly, so is Monte Cook's Cypher. I found the hard way that apart from the core faithful who always support every of those Kickstarters, the wider play pool is not so keen on the magic system of Cypher. :-(

SirFrog

Explorer
I’ve had decent success playing Savage Worlds in various locations over the past 10 years. It’s not D&D or Pathfinder, but there is an audience out there

imagineGod

Legend
Yep. We are at the point where a good chunk of what will be considered "lore" for this edition is mostly previous adventure arcs.
Shane Hensley actually confirms this on the Deadlands Kickstarter page.

It's now 1884 in the official timeline. The Civil War ended in 1871 at the Battle of Washington, an epic conflagration of steam and steel. The Great Rail Wars are over as well, finishing not with a whimper but the bang of Dr. Darius Hellstromme's ghostfire bombs at the gates of Lost Angels.

Even the Servitors, the Reckoners' chosen champions on Earth, have been defeated—at least for a while. Reverend Grimme vanished in a massive flood that destroyed his city, Raven's Last Sons were defeated by the Great Summoning, Stone was foiled in the barren expanse of Death Valley, and Dr. Hellstromme's latest scheme to open the gates of Hell proved fruitless.

Yeah, I went all in on this one. I'm at the Ranger level, but I'm sure I'll upgrade it to the top tier by the time they're done. Just take my money.

I'm not sure why people are comparing it to the other popular RPGs, that's not the intent. I didn't know it was a competition. I thought we were all just playing games and having fun.

Jaeger

That someone better
...I'm not sure why people are comparing it to the other popular RPGs, that's not the intent. I didn't know it was a competition. I thought we were all just playing games and having fun.

What madness is this??

This is the internet.

The game I prefer is like totally x100000000000 times better than anything you like, and certainly better than D&D!

'Come on man. Keep Up!

MGibster

Legend
I'll be honest with you, I pretty much compare all games to D&D. I find that D&D is often the common denominator among gamers and when explaining how a game works I can say, "Unlike D&D, there are no classes so you can build a character as you choose." What I don't do is rip D&D apart in order to make another game look good.

Remove ads

Remove ads