Kickstarter [Kickstarter] John Carter of Mars RPG

imagineGod

Legend
With scarcely a parting glance I turned my eyes again toward Mars, lifted my hands toward his lurid rays, and waited..."- John Carter, Gods of Mars

Adventures on the dying world of Barsoom, a planetary romance inspired by the literature of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/john-carter-of-mars-the-roleplaying-game

john_carter_of_mars_kickstarter.jpg

The core book is fully written, and now in layout, depending on what other books are unlocked in the line, we will be aiming for one shipment in the summer prior to a retail release in the fall. As soon as the Kickstarter closes and payments have been processed you will be given access to the complete documents for the core book as well as the full PDF before we go to print, to provide last minute proofreading.

"As I gazed upon it I felt a spell of overpowering fascination - it was Mars, the god of war, and for me, the fighting man, it had always held the power of irresistible enchantment."- John Carter, Princess of Mars

imagineGod

Legend
Onward to the Stretch Goals people, hold the gate open, the humans are pouring in and with them they bring heroism and imagination. More, more, more!!!

kickstarter_john_carter_of_mars_funded.png

Nagol

Unimportant
Romance is a large element in the Barsoomian stories, almost every book contains a romance for the major protagonist and possibly others for secondary characters (in addition to the three book epic for John Carter & Dejah Thoris the first seven novels have the tales of Tars Tarkas & Gozava, Cathoris & Thuvia, Gahan & Tara, Ulysses and Valia, and Tan Hadron & Tavia, that I can recall!)

Does romance fit into the mechanics at all or is it simply left to the game table?

Nagol

Unimportant
A question regarding copyright.

Is there a license from the Burroughs' estate?

The copyright status of Barsoom is complicated with some of the works released to the public domain in the U.S., but still protected by the Berne convention elsewhere and later works are still under copyright protection (except in Australia).

imagineGod

Legend

The copyright status of Barsoom is complicated with some of the works released to the public domain in the U.S., but still protected by the Berne convention elsewhere and later works are still under copyright protection (except in Australia).

Quoting below what Modiphius Entertainment wrote on the Kickstarter page, so I guess the proper licensing has been covered.

John Carter of Mars - Adventures on The Dying World of Barsoom is a planetary romance tabletop role-playing game. We've created it under license and with the cooperation of the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs, author of the original Barsoom novels. We've also had guidance of Scott Tracy Griffin one of the leading scholars of his works to ensure utmost authenticity.

modiphius

Explorer
Romance is a large element in the Barsoomian stories, almost every book contains a romance for the major protagonist and possibly others for secondary characters (in addition to the three book epic for John Carter & Dejah Thoris the first seven novels have the tales of Tars Tarkas & Gozava, Cathoris & Thuvia, Gahan & Tara, Ulysses and Valia, and Tan Hadron & Tavia, that I can recall!)

Does romance fit into the mechanics at all or is it simply left to the game table?

Yes romance is included in the typical tests - Benn will pop in to answer

Yes we have a license with the Edgar Rice Burroughs Estate - still owned by the Burroughs family - and they also have trademarks on many of the terms in use.

imagineGod

Legend
For those of you who like miniatures with your role playing games, the 32mm collection of detailed heroes of Barsoom and villains, of course, is available in a new pledge tier "The Swords of Mars" collection on the John Carter of Mars Kickstarer.

john_carter_of_mars_miniatures_pledge_tier.jpg

imagineGod

Legend
Just reminder for those taking the Swords of Mars pledge tier, if we get even more people pledging, the value of this tier offers so much bang for the buck "all the miniatures" including the Thark Warband, if we can hit the £105,000 tier (since this is a British publisher, I quoted the British Pound Sterling, but that is about $143,000).

As of this posting, the status of the John Carter of Mars Kickstarter rests on just over £90,700 with 1150 backers (nice round figures).

View attachment 92939

Attachments

• screen_john_carter_of_mars_90700k_gp_with_1150backes.png
    screen_john_carter_of_mars_90700k_gp_with_1150backes.png
    669.2 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

Remove ads