Kickstarter: The Alchemist, for 5th Edition

I'm running a kickstarter for a 5e Alchemist class!

The Alchemist (Logo).jpg
I think Alchemy should be its own "thing" in the game; not a re-skinned way to cast spells. I'm not bashing other products that do that by any stretch of the imagination; there are a lot of cool concepts to play around with there! nevertheless, I thought someone ought to tackle the ability to make unique consumable items, and fit it within a class structure.

If that sounds cool to you, check out my kickstarter!

I'll be checking this thread and all other channels regularly to answer questions, feedback, and suggestions! I do seriously mean suggestions; if you're contributing or want to contribute and want to see a concept executed, I'm more than happy to discuss that sort of thing (even just for its own sake, who doesn't love theorycrafting).

Short explanations of the design are being uploaded daily, as well as other progress updates.
Lemme know if this interests you guys!

The front page doesn't have handy links to your other work. Could we get some handy links so we can judge the quality of the things you mentioned working on in the video?

What is your academic background in various forms of alchemy throughout history? While science takes a backseat to game mechanics, it would be great to see some easter eggs and class abilities that reference actual forms of alchemy.

The front page doesn't have handy links to your other work. Could we get some handy links so we can judge the quality of the things you mentioned working on in the video?

What is your academic background in various forms of alchemy throughout history? While science takes a backseat to game mechanics, it would be great to see some easter eggs and class abilities that reference actual forms of alchemy.

Hi Seramis! I included links to my various sites in my bio as I created my kickstarter yesterday, but as you mentioned I neglected to put them in the project itself. Here's a link to my FB page (where most of my support/traffic/work has been done)! I'll be sure to put it in the project description.

I have no academic background on the science of alchemy. That being said, it would be neat to take direct inspiration from that section of history!

Sometimes I imagine D&D alchemist like an artificer of Eberron but with some ideas from White Wolf's Promethean: the Created, game mechanic of magic of incarnum, colors of mana and some ideas from the manga "Fullmetal Alchemist".

Sometimes I imagine D&D alchemist like an artificer of Eberron but with some ideas from White Wolf's Promethean: the Created, game mechanic of magic of incarnum, colors of mana and some ideas from the manga "Fullmetal Alchemist".

It's one of those names that just explode in your head when it comes to all the ways you conceptualize it. That can make it hard to pin down!

My idea of D&D alchemy would be like crafting single-use magic item (scrolls, potions, runes, talismans, tattoos..) what after be spent they can be reloading with points of mana, like psionic power points but with different colors. The powers would be like martial maneuvers, from 3.5 Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords, a step in the middle between at-will and once-encounter powers. The body chakras would be used for metamagic effects, for example energy substitution. This alchemist would the classic buffer+nerfer class, but the gameplay should be simple and fast, more about breaking enemy buffs. And this alchemist with its cheaper version of single-use magic item could be useful for a sorcerers who misses more variety of powers.

Remove ads