Kid Charlemagne's Story Hour, Pt II

Matchstick

Adventurer
Let's see. So this is the first post of the last session's activities. Figure maybe two more posts to get it done...

AND THEN I HAVE TO WAIT TILL NEXT MONDAY TO HEAR MORE???????

:)

It sounds to me like Sunday these guys are going to be starting right in the middle of some major stuff. Might make it easier to get back into the swing of things.

Was Aris still the primary caster? Will they have a new arcane caster character in the group?

Oh, and I'd better see some posting on Monday at the latest! :D

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Matchstick said:
Let's see. So this is the first post of the last session's activities. Figure maybe two more posts to get it done...

AND THEN I HAVE TO WAIT TILL NEXT MONDAY TO HEAR MORE???????

:) You guys are spoiled.

It sounds to me like Sunday these guys are going to be starting right in the middle of some major stuff. Might make it easier to get back into the swing of things.

The new game is starting up (in game time) 4 or 5 months after the end of the current story line. There are plenty of threads to pick up with, but no immediately pressing matters.

Was Aris still the primary caster? Will they have a new arcane caster character in the group?

What makes you so certain Aris lives through this session? MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

But we have added a new player, whose PC is a pure(er) spellcaster than Aris.

Oh, and I'd better see some posting on Monday at the latest! :D

I'll try and get something up here as soon as I can!

Last edited:

Gavin

First Post
Jovah said:
Kid Charlemagne said:
“Well, we’re kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place,” Jovah says. “We kept the Egg safe, but we lost two party members to the enemy.”
“They’re probably dead already,” Gavin says.
[/QUOTE}

Good ol' warm-hearted Gavin.

"Sir Gavin" will have to work on that. :)

Now you're being unfair. Of course Gavin seems cold and heartless (he would say "practical"). Underneath all that plate mail is the shy vulnerable man that nobody really sees. Nobody knows that Gavin likes rainy days, ponies, and songs about smurfs.

Hey, that big N under alignment ain't for "Nice Guy". And at least he's not a Necromancer, eh?

Kid Charlemagne

Gavin said:
Hey, that big N under alignment ain't for "Nice Guy". And at least he's not a Necromancer, eh?

There is that. However, Sir Brennen has been talking to Erik Morningstar recently...

Sir Brennen

Legend
Matchstick said:
Hah! Was I on top of that "rings with (or without) charges" thing or what!

Once again I bet that was a sinking feeling when the thought "It's out of charges" first occurred to the player. Not to mention a Shadow Dragon showing up. These guys are moving in some SERIOUS power circles!

Yeah, Aris figured that the charges would run out eventually, but the primary concern at the time was this... since the party would all travel to the interdimensional space by touching whoever slipped the ring on, would the Shadow Dragon holding Batista be transported along with him? Aris was hoping there would be a weight limit or something. Otherwise, it would've been...ummm... basically that same result as having no charges in the ring, apparently. ;)

It sounds to me like Brennen was tired of getting his butt chewed and wanted to get at least one of those vampires no matter what.

Yes, especially after seeing the girl go down the last time, then having to fight her again this time, he really didn't want to have to face all of the Loraxites in battle anymore if he could help it. Usually KC's bad guys just "POOF" out of the middle of combat, but seeing the vampire drow having to run to his magical portal, Brennen was determined not to let him get away, even if it meant charging straight at a dragon (while in the single digits for hit points, even!)

This new NPC reminds me of Nuada Airgetlam.

I was reading the Corum series by Michael Moorcock at the time, which inspired the creation of Janketh. The Corum stories were basically a retelling of the Irish myths that Nuada was central to. The 2E Book of Elves also had some nice bits on artificial limbs, and the backstory was a bit of a twist on "The Fugitive" TV series (don't ask) :D

Kid Charlemagne

Sir Brennen said:
Yeah, Aris figured that the charges would run out eventually, but the primary concern at the time was this... since the party would all travel to the interdimensional space by touching whoever slipped the ring on, would the Shadow Dragon holding Batista be transported along with him? Aris was hoping there would be a weight limit or something. Otherwise, it would've been...ummm... basically that same result as having no charges in the ring, apparently.

The secondary concern, as I remember it was that the Ring always deposited its transportees into the same, relatively small cavern.

The Shadow Dragon was fairly big. There was a worry that it might end up looking like the Shadow Dragon version of that Bonsai Kitty website...

Kid Charlemagne

Fencig, February 10th, AE 420

Jovah takes the gemstone, and a vision flashes before his eyes of an island wooded with pine trees, and a beach of sandy gravel. He smiles, and stashes the diamond in a pouch. “I think I know what to do with that,” he thinks to himself.

Janketh leaves, walking down the street and vanishing into a eerie bank of mist, and the moment Jovah closes the door, the sounds of the street outside return. Sir Brennen enters the room, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“So when are you going to do that divination?”

“Hoo boy,” Jovah says, and starts explaining what just happened. As everyone hears the story, they begin asking questions.

“So what is in the Egg?” Gavin asks. “Elf-boy didn’t want to tell anyone, but what do we think?”

Jovah answers carefully, “He wouldn’t say exactly, but the few things he did say gave away quite a bit. The Egg was hidden for over two millenia; it contains unspeakable evil; and we know it was hidden away by the first Emperor of Ralt Gaither.”

“The first Emperor of Ralt Gaither was the ruler of that area immediately after Kelanen’s ascension,” Brennen picks up. “Kelanen died just before Vecna was overthrown. Just over two millenia ago.”

“I don’t like where this is heading,” Reana says. “Could it be the Eye?”

“No,” Jovah says. “Various people have gotten ahold of that in the past two thousand years. It must be something else related to Vecna, something unknown. Maybe even another part of him. His phylactery maybe? Janketh said it was only a part…”

“It doesn’t really matter what it is,” says Brennen. “We have to get it secreted away.”

The party makes their preperations and folds to Hawk’s Roost, which is the nearest town to where the entrance to the Druidic Burialgrounds is. They are prepared for a fight as they enter the caverns, but find their way down to the Portal without incident. Arriving at the Portal, they find evidence that someone has been here – recently. A ring of stones for a campfire sits about twenty feet from the Gate itself, but no one is here.

Brennen steps up to the Gate, which is utterly black. He sticks his hand through, and it feels like he’s pushing it through a syrupy, black oil. He holds his breath, and pushes all the way through, followed by Gavin, Reana, Jvah, and Jalea.

They find themselves in a crumbling, old mausoleum, with cobwebs all around, and numerous stone sarcophagi. As they begin to explore they are set upon by a pack of ghouls, and dispose of them fairly easily, except for one who taunts them from a balcony and flings a couple of javelins of lighting down on them. Brennen manages to climb up to him and take him out as well, and they begin checking the exit.

Looking out of the Mausoleum, they see what appears to be an immense, old, elaborate cemetary. They are in a low point between two hills, and when Jalea comes back from scouting out the top of one hill, he reports that the cemetary seems to stretch out in three directions for as far as he can see. In the fourth direction, apparently west (since the sun appears to have just recently set, leaving a reddish tinge to the clouds in that direction) is a large gate, and beyond it, a town. From all appearances, an ordinary town, as torches light the streets, and sounds of people can be heard in that direction.

They make for that gate, only to find that their side of it is heaped high with garbage of all sorts. Foul-smelling, rotting garbage. The party is wary of nasty creatures that live in filth, so they decide to look around for another way out. As they make their way to one side of the gate, Jalea stops them. He scouts up ahead, and reports back.

“There’s a guy up there digging graves. He’s got three or four bodies that he’s burying. They’re in canvas bags.”

“Burying people?” Jovah asks. “That sounds positive.”

They move up on that position cautiously. They watch the gravedigger for a while, as he finishes one grave, dumps a body in, and starts work on the next grave. Jovah’s eyes go wide suddenly, as he sees a hand reach up out of that first grave, and begin to climb out, reaching towards the gravedigger!

But before he can yell out in warning, the gravedigger casually turns his head, sees the approaching undead, and whacks it over the head with his shovel, sending it reeling back into the open grave.

“I said stay down, you idiot creature!” he yells, sounding more like he’s scolding a bad puppy than rebuking the undying.

The party isn’t quite sure how to take this. They decide to make themselves known, in hopes that this fellow isn’t all bad.

The gravedigger takes their approach in stride. He seems to not be much disturbed by anything. He introduces himself as Briggs, the caretaker of this section of The Boneyard, as he calls it.

“Umm, those are undead,” Brennen points out, indicating the bodies.

“They’re all undead,” Briggs says, indicating the cemetary with a sweeping gesture.

“Isn’t it dangerous being out here at night?” Gavin asks, getting a uncomprehending look in return.

“Uh Gavin,” Jovah says, “I’ve been watching that sunset. We’ve been here for around an hour, and the light hasn’t changed at all.”

“S’always like that,” Briggs says, starting his third grave. “But the dead don’t bother folk much ‘round the gates. Still, someone needs to come here and bury them, or else they’d overrun the place.”

“What do you mean?” asks Reana.

“This is no place like your world,” Briggs says. “It’s The Boneyard. All the dead from the material plane who aren’t buried properly, or left out to die, come here. If they’re not buried properly here, they rise as walking dead. New ‘uns show up all the time, and someone’s got to bury them. Not a great job, but it’s a job. Good jobs ain’t easy to find ‘round these parts,” he adds with a conspiratorial whisper.

“We need to figure out where a group of people might be, Drow vampires who are working with a Shadow Dragon named Sharat,” Jalea says. “Do you know?”

Briggs shakes his head. “Sorry, I don’t know much about any of the chiefs in the Boneyard. There’s a whole bunch of ‘em, this place goes on for miles and miles. Different folk run different parts of it, maybe you could find something out in Mortimus.”

“Mortimus?” Jalea asks.

“Mortimus is the town yonder,” Briggs says, pointing to the town beyond the gate. “I’ll be heading that way in a minute, you’ll be wanting to follow me – don’t go by that gate or the otyugh will get you.”

“Otyugh… I knew it,” Jovah says. “Ewww.”

Last edited:

Jovah

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
Fencig, February 10th, AE 420

Jovah answers carefully, “He wouldn’t say exactly, but the few things he did say gave away quite a bit. The Egg was hidden for over two millenia; it contains unspeakable evil; and we know it was hidden away by the first Emperor of Ralt Gaither.”

“The first Emperor of Ralt Gaither was the ruler of that area immediately after Kelanen’s ascension,” Brennen picks up. “Kelanen died just before Vecna was overthrown. Just over two millenia ago.”

“I don’t like where this is heading,” Reana says. “Could it be the Eye?”

“No,” Jovah says. “Various people have gotten ahold of that in the past two thousand years. It must be something else related to Vecna, something unknown. Maybe even another part of him. His phylactery maybe? Janketh said it was only a part…”

Kid C has an unhealthy obsession with Vecna. The central point to the last campaign was stopping 2 cults from getting a key to unlock several Gates that Vecna had built.

As they begin to explore they are set upon by a pack of ghouls, and dispose of them fairly easily, except for one who taunts them from a balcony and flings a couple of javelins of lighting down on them. Brennen manages to climb up to him and take him out as well, and they begin checking the exit.

We did manage to pick up a few of the Lighting Javelins.
Might be important later in the story.

Last edited:

Remove ads