D&D 3E/3.5 known-abusable 3.5 combos/techniques/etc.

Ilium

First Post
Question about the explosive runes trick: If multiple spells do go off simultaneously, wouldn't you just get the greatest single effect instead of adding them? I seem to remember something to that effect in the rules on like spells not stacking with themselves. Obviously if the spells were set off by separate actions you would apply damage normally, but if they were set off simultaneously by a single action, I think the spell stacking rules would come into play.

That's how I run it anyway. I have a home-brewed magic item that can be used in a similar way and I warned the players early on that piling 20 of them in a bag and dropping it on a dragon would not have the effect they might want. :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Taraxia said:
Note that _true strike_ is a Range: Personal spell, so you're hypothesizing a character with both Power Attack and either arcane spellcasting progression or UMD.

Minor ring of spell storing. That'll do nicely.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I deny vehemently that VoP is overpowered. A grabbag of bonuses such as we see with the VoP is rarely as good as half as much weighed in gold honed by a semi-competent minmaxer.

ruleslawyer

Yeah. Now that I think about it, I realize that the "broken" VoP druid application I saw posted had to do with the druid getting completely cheaty and giving his animal companion all his items.

Incidentally, that is the way to break VoP; "give away" your magic items to your party or a cohort. I believe, however, that this is in fact prohibited by the BoED anyway.

HeavyG

First Post
ruleslawyer said:
Yeah. Now that I think about it, I realize that the "broken" VoP druid application I saw posted had to do with the druid getting completely cheaty and giving his animal companion all his items.

Hey, wouldn't an animal companion be worth more than the VoP allows ? ;)

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Neither wraithstrike nor divine metamagic need the additional qualifiers to be abusive. Wraithstrike is ridiculously powerful for a 2nd level spell even without being persistent and while a persistent divine power at 7th level is ridiculous, a quickened divine power at 7th level isn't much better--nor is an empowered flamestrike at 9th level.

kerbarian said:
Divine Metamagic, when used to cast effectively-over-9th-level spells.
Wraith Strike with Persistent Spell.

green slime

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
I'm not sure that I follow you here - isn't an empowered flamestrike a 6th level spell?

I think he means casting an empowered flamestrike as a ninth level caster, which you can do with Divine Metamagic as written.

JonnyFive

First Post
Dust of sneezing and choking requires you to breath right? isnt there an ion stone that allows you to go without air? i'm sure you could figgure out how to make a cheap amulet/ring that would do the same thing.

Taraxia

First Post
JonnyFive said:
Dust of sneezing and choking requires you to breath right? isnt there an ion stone that allows you to go without air? i'm sure you could figgure out how to make a cheap amulet/ring that would do the same thing.

By RAW, no, it doesn't. Doesn't mention any such requirement -- just says that people in range of the effect are "treated as stunned".

Remove ads