• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobold Name?

Baumi

Adventurer
I'm still not quite sure which Name it should be, but this time it's because I cann't decide wich one I should take [:)]. Ak'iss and Meepo are at the Moment my Favoritites but I also need to take a look at the link.......

It seems to me from your Answers that there are some true Kobold-Fans out there :cool: .... so I have another question: Can anyone give me a link to good Pictures of them (usable for a character)?

Again many, many Thanks for your Help,
Baumi

Xarlen

First Post
I don't know why, but Meepo strikes me as a goblin name.

Meepo, though, is a good name that you want if you want a semi-comical side to it. 'I am the great Meepo! Behold my dragon ally!' Enter major image.

Sadly, I hav'nt seen any good kobold pictures.

My favorite kobold name is Bree-Yark. That was my old 1e evil magic-user's henchman. I captured him and took some serious game time to convert him into a trusted companion. I even managed to teach him a spell (charm person) at the cost of a couple thousand xps. Hey- laugh if you want, but it saved Zorko's skin more than once.

Anyway as I recall kobolds are really more of a dog-like race (from 1e atleast). So I would go with a barking/snarling sound. It is absurd to have a dragon name imo. Have fun!

kengar

First Post
illustrations

The two best illustrations I've seen of 3e kobolds are:

1) The Monster Manual's
2) The drawing on Pozas' site.

FWIW, I am playing a kobold rogue/illusionist (name: Szogar) in a home brewed world and it's great fun. I like running a race that's not for min/max and makes you think to survive. That, and using a squeaky & hissing voice drives the other players batty while it earns me RP points from the DM! :D

Gez

First Post
I had named two kobolds once Ftok and Malloc. But there's a hidden computer nerd humor behind (ftok() and malloc() are C functions on Unix).

I once mastered a one-shot game in which everyone played a kobold from a kobold tribe, on a mission to slay a monstrous wolf-like beast in a hostile, kobold-hating forest. Some names I remember: Merarane, Irlingrim, Rorongrorn... I had a dozen or two of kobold names, but it was a long time ago.

SteveMND

First Post
Ah, kobolds. One of the most rewarding characters I'd had the occasion to play was Snaprat, a kobold sorcerer. His actual name was something in Draconic (created using the Draconic Primer in one of last year's issue of Dragon Magazine), but the Common version of it served him well enough.

When first introduced to the party, he was always cowled and cloaked, with no part of his body visible -- most of the party initially assumed he was some deformed halflling or gnome, actually, since he came on the recommedation of an old friend of the adventuring company. He couldn't speak any Common, but that was okay, since he had a Raven familiar who could. Thus, for the first six months or so of game time, the bird always acted as his translator. Lots of fun. :)

Steve M

Remove ads