D&D 5E Kudo's to DungeonDraft

naturaltwenty

Explorer
Publisher
A little background..apologize for the lengthy post. Skip past the text to see some novice results using DungeonDraft by Megasploot (I am not a paid endorser or pushing any product - I just want to share the fact that if you've got a little time you can create a lot of good stuff:)).

I've gamed more during the pandemic than I have face-to-face with my two gaming groups. Most of us have just reached 50 years of age and the days of an all-weekend gaming session are long past. Shorter sessions, during the week, was our goal but geographically we've got a couple of members whose drive is 90 minutes or so. Pre-pandemic there was some aversion to VTT (I've been an advocate and GM using VTT for at least 15 years but not with my primary gaming groups). The gaming itch got so great in the last few months that I got them to try.

One group, comprised of grade school friends (since 1975) and one wife, wanted me to run Ghosts of Saltmarsh because they remember me running the originals back in the day. Dyson produced all the maps for the product and I definitely think they hit the "old school" feel of the originals but using them to run VTT stuff was underwhelming. The example below is the main deck of a ship from Ghosts of Saltmarsh (spoiler)

main_deck.png

vs what I created in about 30 minutes after spending an original 15 on creating a hull template to use for each level of the ship. Total time spent on all four levels ~1.5 hours.

seaghost_maindeck.png

Long-story-short - if you've got $20, some time on your hands, and like to make maps. It's a great tool.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Yep, I own both Wonderdraft and Dungeondraft. They are awesome programs.

Here is a map I made with Dungeondraft:
Camp Buildings Inside.png

IIRC, this map took me about 45 minutes, so not too bad. I also had a nighttime and a version with rooftops, so I could combine all three in my powerpoint for our battlemap use.

Camp Buildings Night.png

Remove ads