Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Angus gets an angry look on his face, glowering at the cultist who managed to evade two skillful blows just now.

Angus growls, "Ye waen't dedge a thoord!"

The blow is pure power, almost entirely lacking finesse. The cultist tries to block the blow with his mace, but the blade lands on the man's wrist, cutting it off, before continuing on its path, cleaving into the man's left shoulder, and cleaving him nearly in two; the blade stops just underneath the man's right side ribcage. Blood gushes onto the stone floor of the hallway, as the man's scream is stifled by the fact that his lungs have been savagely rended in twain during the course of the blade's travel.

Before the corpse can hit the ground, Angus takes a 5-ft adjustment forward, to get within range of the other cultist who just shattered Wieland's armor; Angus rears up, and tries to bring the pointed tip of his kite shield down on the man's head, but he dodges at the last moment; the shield strikes the floor, sending up a shower of sparks.

Angus growls again, "Ye're naext!"

"You won't dodge a third!"
"You're next!"
The open door stands partly between the cultist and Angus, which gives the man a bit of extra defense but it won't last long.

Phar watches Angus skewer the one cultist and just miss the second one. While he can barely see in the reddish glow, he can't see much from his current position. "See you on the other side," he says to Angus. Phar casts a quick orison, causing light to flood the corridors. He rushes down the eastern corridor and turns into the southern corridor. He glances down the corridor that goes southeast and sees Caerth rushing away from him. The paragon elf wizard sees another cultist standing roughly 15 away from him and 20 feet from Caerth. Phar can see that the man is about to cast a spell. "Caerth! Behind you!"

The cultist finishes his spell and Phar is relieved to see that the man was only healing himself. The man glances towards Phar and then back towards Caerth. He decides that Phar is the less dangerous foe, so he stalks back towards the elf.

The cultist facing Quinn stries out at the ex-gladiator, weakly. The blow doesn't even come close.

Maur leaves the last cultist to Quinn and rushes back toward where he last saw Centaur and the rest of the squad, his darkvision easily piercing the gloom.

"What's what here? Where's the fighting?"

OOC: move to just next to the dead cultist behind Aureus, asks the question and either move to block the hallway next to Aureus or attack
"It was here," Meridith says as she fumbles around in the dark. "I can't see it anymore."

"I heard it," Aureus says to Maur. "Something invisible, right there. I tried to shoot it but I think it moved... or I missed."

Maur looks toward where Aureus is pointing, but even with his darkvision and trained ears, he can't see or hear it. He moves close and hope he can help keep the foe from being able to slip by the gather group.

OOC: I'm going to assume that Maur is going to move to block the corridor.

Maur - Spot (DC 30) and Listen checks (DC 15): 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9 +2 -10 = 1
1D20+4 = [7]+4 = 11 +2 = 13

"Prepare to meet your punishment, cannibal" Says Quinn with disgust in his voice. he slice out with cruel justice to bring an end of the cruelty using both hands on the hilt.
Light spills down the southern corridor and Quinn is certain he can see Phar up ahead.

Quinn slashes out once and then a second time at the cultist with Cruel Justice. The first strike digs deep into the man's chest and the second takes the man's head off. His body falls to the floor and his head rolls ten feet down the corridor.

"Justice is done," Cruel Justice intones.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
He is surrounded, but they cannot see him. He manages to avoid the gnoll's arrows and the woman's clumsy attack in the darkness. He is about to move when a dwarf comes around the corner from the western corridor. "A Sonnthord," he whispers in dwarven.

The dwarf doesn't hear him and neither does the half-ogre or human girl. The gnoll's ears seem to twitch but the female doesn't hear him either.

His grip on his waraxe tightens but he restrains himself. If was only the Sonnthord, he'd risk a fight, but there are too many of them. He takes a deep breath, quietly, and moves along the wall beside the girl, trying desperately to stay quiet as he moves. 'Maybe next time, Sonnthord', he thinks.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"It's moving again! Meridith, on your left!" Aureus shouts.

"It's no good, I can't see anything," the young ranger replies.

"Damn, I think it went by me," she says to Maur. "It was there for a second, I'm sure of it, but I can't locate it. I couldn't hear it move this time."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
The bear that killed Hirasean starts dragging the body through the hallway, away from the ruckus and towards a corner. It seems intent on eating the remains in quiet.

The other bear looks up, blood and gore spilling from its maw, and sniffs the air. Unsure, it takes a hesitant step towards the northern passage.

Caerth, meanwhile, is intent on finding that bard. He ignores the warning in his head that he is moving away from his allies too far, instead holding Kang tightly in his fist and continues running.

Where's that door she went through?

OOC: The summoning of the bears expires after 8 rounds, so on round 18. However, Caerth is too far away to instruct them to do anything else, and there are no living cultists in sight.

So bears do what they naturally do with food, and that means dragging it away to a secluded place to eat in peace. But perhaps the most northern bear can sense the invisible foe? The stat block does not mention the Scent ability, so what do I roll for that?

Caerth keeps chasing the Lady. Poor fool him. ;)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Caerth Rushes Into Danger:
The bear that killed Hirasean starts dragging the body through the hallway, away from the ruckus and towards a corner. It seems intent on eating the remains in quiet.
The bear pulls the dead champion all the way down past Quinn into the corner and continues to gorge itself. Quinn can see that there won't be much left of the man once the bear is finished.

JustinCase said:
The other bear looks up, blood and gore spilling from its maw, and sniffs the air. Unsure, it takes a hesitant step towards the northern passage.

OOC: So bears do what they naturally do with food, and that means dragging it away to a secluded place to eat in peace. But perhaps the most northern bear can sense the invisible foe? The stat block does not mention the Scent ability, so what do I roll for that?

OOC: Let's see if the bear goes after a living target it can't see or continues to the eat the fallen foe in front of it... the bear keeps eating.
Wisdom check (DC 15): 1D20+1 = [10]+1 = 11
The bear sniffs the air for a few seconds and then growls. It goes back to eating the meal in front of it. It doesn't concern itself with the hutaakan rogue, as an inner force tells the bear that the two-legged being is a friend.

JustinCase said:
Caerth, meanwhile, is intent on finding that bard. He ignores the warning in his head that he is moving away from his allies too far, instead holding Kang tightly in his fist and continues running.

Where's that door she went through?
OOC: Caerth keeps chasing the Lady. Poor fool him. ;)
Caerth rushes around the corner where the bard and other cultist went and near runs into a pair of ghouls that are standing in front of a large door at the end of a short hallway. The sight and smell of the two ghouls snaps the half-orc druid out of his building rage.

The other cultist is standing in what looks like a small alcove and then Caerth hear him thump on a wooden door. "Anselm, the intruders are breaking through. Let me in, please." He doesn't see Caerth.

Caerth glances over his shoulder instinctively and sees that there is another ghoul at the end of another, longer, corridor. It stands around 40 to 50 feet away and it senses his presence. The other two ghouls lock their eyes on Caerth. Spittle drips from their mouths. The empathic feeling he gets from Kang shifts from anger to wariness. Caerth senses he's in trouble!

There is no sign of the bard.

OOC: So, Caerth is using the Run action, so he can't attack the ghouls this round. They move on initiative count 9, as noted in the DM Only Spoiler with the post for the Initiative Count on the OOC thread.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The cultist tries in vain to open the door. He swears in a harsh tongue that Caerth doesn't recognize. He turns around and directs the ghouls to go attack the intruders. The ghouls hiss at him until he presents his unholy symbol to them. Then he finally sees Caerth. His eyes go wide.

"Kill him!" He orders the ghouls. "Devour him for Malotoch!"

He starts banging on the door again. "Damn you, Anselm! Open the door!"

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Brutus stalks back the way he came and tries to find this foe that Aureus and the others are sure is hidden somewhere in the corridors. He moves and then waits and listens. He knows there is little chance he will see the creature but maybe he can hear its movements. He does try to find the foe with his darkvision but knows its more likely he'll hear it. He hears nothing and doesn't see anything either. He stands and waits.

"I don't see or hear it," he says quietly. "I'm ready."

OOC: Moves and readies an action to attack if the invisible foe is revealed to him by the others.
Brutus - Listen and Spot checks: 1D20+10-5 = [1]+10-5 = 6
1D20+10 = [7]+10 = 17

Down at the end of the northern corridor, the cultist standing between Timmins and Wieland is ready to fall. Timmins watches in surprise as the man drops his mace and shield and falls to his knees.

"I surrender," he says.

"No Zeidan! We can beat them!" The other cultist yells as Angus menaces the man.

"Eike, drop your weapon. There is no point in dying any more. We have delayed them long enough for the Masters to flee, and... I sense that Xander has betrayed us. He should have attacked by now."

The other cultist hesitates.

"Eike! The champion has fallen! Lady Panthera has fled! The Masters are not coming to help us! Do not throw your life away!"

The cultist named Eike curses in frustration but relents. he drops his mace and shield and holds up his hands. "I- I surrender to you, centaur."

"Everyone be quiet!" Aureus barks out. She moves 10 feet up the corridor, standing behind Brutus to his right. She tries again to locate the invisible foe with her keen senses. "Where are you?" She whispers to herself.

Timmins doesn't move a muscle but keeps his eyes on the cultist in front of him. He motions Wieland to be quiet and the young soldier nods.

Aureus looks beyond Brutus and her ears twitch. "No, nothing. If there is something there, I can't see or hear it. Damn, I think it's gotten away."

"Xander, that blasted duergar," the cultist on his knees curses.

"Quiet you," Timmins whispers harshly. The old warrior looks at Angus. "If you can understand me, go find the half-orc. Go find Caerth. He'll be able to track this Xander."

Meridith stands in the dark in silence, completely blind.

OOC: So, no more -10 or even -5 for the sounds of battle. I'd already made the decision for the two cultists to surrender before @Neurotic made the suggestion for the penalty to be removed. :)

Aureus - Spot and Listen checks: 1D20+11 = [9]+11 = 20
1D20+11 = [10]+11 = 21
(both checks fail)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Meanwhile...
The ghoul closest to Caerth rushes around the half-orc druid and tries to bite at his neck from the other side, but the creature stumbles leaving itself wide open for a counterattack. The other ghoul moves in, bites at Caerth's arm holding Kang, and slashes at his chest with its claws. Caerth's new armor protects him from the ghouls fangs and claw attacks don't penetrate the half-orc druid's defenses.

The other ghoul shambles down the corridor towards Caerth and the other ghouls. It get as close to the half-orc druid as it can without stumbling over the other ghouls attacking Caerth.

OOC: @JustinCase, Caerth gains an AoO against one of the ghouls. He gets the +2 for Recitation and a +2 circumstance bonus to hit. He gains that +2 circumstance bonus in the next round against both ghouls as well.

Ghoul - Attack vs Caerth: 1D20+2 = [1]+2 = 3 (critical miss)
Ghoul - Full Attack: 1D20+2 = [15]+2 = 17 (miss)
1D20 = [1] = 1 (critical miss)
1D20 = [14] = 14 (miss)
1D6+1 = [3]+1 = 4; 1D3 = [3] = 3; 1D3 = [1] = 1

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth curses as the ghouls close in on him, and Kangs mental anxiety is something he can do without.

Before he has a chance to switch to his trusted spear, the undead things are upon him. The half-orc is soon grateful for the tough rhino hide of his armor, because the ghouls have trouble penetrating it with their claws. He knows his luck won’t hold, and desperately slashes at the closest foe with the dagger.

OOC:
@JustinCase, Caerth gains an AoO against one of the ghouls. He gets the +2 for Recitation and a +2 circumstance bonus to hit. He gains that +2 circumstance bonus in the next round against both ghouls as well.

AoO: 1D20+11+4 = [13]+11+4 = 28
1D4+5 = [2]+5 = 7

Remove ads