Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus is up early because such is his habit. He looks very well rested.

OOC:
Angus has healed 18 pts. damage, due to his Rapid Metabolism.

Angus helps Caerth track; using his considerable skills, he aids Caerth in his endeavor, using his sharp eyes to spot minute details.

2A669427-8C32-42D6-B6F8-F366112394C5.jpeg
OOC:
Spot Check: 25, Survival (Track) Check: 31

Aid Another (Survival Only): Success (+2 to Caerth's check.)

Angus' Spot Check stands by itself, since Caerth was using Search for some odd reason.

Angus looks around thoroughly, allowing his senses and instincts to guide him.

Angus says, "Here to serve you, am I. Getting the hang of your language Angus is. Wants a task, Angus does."

Angus' command of Harqualian is improving, but he still has much to learn before he is fluent.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth is still unsure what to think of Angus, but he is grateful for the centaurs help. Not being very talkative himself, the half-orc mostly grunts and nods in response, but the occassional smile can also been seen on his face.

"Don't be a servant," he replies when Angus repeats his statement about serving Caerth. "Be you."

After some consideration, he adds, "Tracking people on horseback is difficult. Do you have any tricks that might help?"

Without much sense of tact, Caerth looks at the centaurs lower body, studying the hoofs in particular.

OOC: I'm going with the story here, but I think Caerth would've tried to keep Galzadar in reasonable conditions before leaving to track down Eike and Xander.

And you know, I think Caerth and Angus are beginning to bond, despite the druids initial reaction. :)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maurs huffs around the smithy and stops well away from the trackers.

"I have an idea for Galzadar. But I need you to confirm it. Please, lets find Phar and see if we can clear Galzadar before going after the fugitives."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Inside the inn, Aureus startles awake. She pulls herself up off the cot and yawns, which sounds more like a low growl. No one seems to notice. Most of those resting in the inn are wounded and are sleeping soundly. As she gets up, her body complains. She and the others have been through a lot and could use a lot more rest but she knows the others are probably up already.

Phar will be off somewhere meditating to regain his spells. She has watched him do it for years now. Has it really been that long since she first met the paragon elf on the edge of the Great Forest as she left her homeland in the Rilous Mountains and set off to explore the news lands she and her people were transported to by The Transformation? Her tail swishes inadvertently as she thinks of first meeting her friend and then traveling with him south were they eventually met Lorien.

She makes the rounds through the common room and checks on those with the worst injuries. Everyone seems to be resting comfortably and healing nicely. It helps that they have Elle watching over them. Rosey brings the hutaakan some cooked beef and vegetables. Aureus wolfs everything down in the kitchen away from the sleeping villagers.

"Thank you," she says to Rosemergy.

"You were hungry," the halfling matron laughs. "That's a good sign."

Aureus grins and finishes off her plate.

"Maur was just in here a moment ago," Elle says to her. "He seemed to be looking for something."

"He's probably already trying to whip the others up into a frenzy, so we can track the duergar and the cultist," Aureus says. "I think he's taking Xander's escape very personally." She signs and stretches. "Oof, I need more healing. I need to go to the grove and pray."

"I can heal you more," Elle says.

"No, save your healing for them," Aureus says while motioning to the villagers. "They are going to need you now more than ever. We'll probably be gone for at least a day hunting down those two."

Aureus hands the plate back to Rosemergy and thanks the halfling again. The inn's matron gathers up a bundle of food from the kitchen and gives it to Aureus. "Food for the road for you and the others."

"Thank you," Aureus says warmly.

"All of Carnell owes you our lives," Rosey says. "It is a debt we can't begin to repay."

Aureus hugs the halfling matron and Elle. She gathers up her gear from under her cot and stows away anything she won't need right away in her pack. She puts some of the hardtack rations in her pack and slings the rest of it over her shoulder as she heads out of the inn. She quickly notices Angus first. The Harqualian centaur stands out on the road. Caerth is looking at the ground next to Angus and Maur is walking up to them.

She smiles and glad to see her friends. She bounds over to them, testing her wounded leg. It seems to be holding out okay. "All awake already, I see." She bends over to look down at the tracks that Caerth has found. "You got their trail?"

She looks around but doesn't see Phar. "Phar's probably at the grove meditating." He pauses. "Quinn slept in the manor last night." She notes the looks on their faces. "No, I don't mean like that! He's a knight now so that is where he has to be."

"Sir Ghal is more likely to be in the lady's bedchamber," Mabon says as exits the smithy. He tries to wipe dirt off his hands onto his apron but the garment is as dirty as his hands. "Why he just doesn't tell Lady Pendour he's in love with her, I don't understand... especially after what ye all went through last night."

"He's stubborn," Aureus replies. "He's so concerned about his duty to her that it blinds him from knowing that she loves him too."

"What!?" Mabon exclaims.

"Please, it's so obvious."

"Well, he was up all night guarding the village, so I doubt he's going to be doing anything other than falling into bed and snoring for the rest of the day," Mabon says with a snort.

He looks at them and then remembers something. He rushes back into the smithy. "I finished that sword for Sir Quinn last night. That silvered sword ye took from the duergar. That Xander might be a villain but he's a good smith." He comes back out with the blade. It is in a fine scabbard that looks brand new. The dwarf unsheathes it and shows his work off. "I redid some of the design to be more dwarven than duergar and fancied up the hilt." He re-sheathes it and hands it over to Angus. "It's a good blade. It could be enchanted later but that's not my skill. "Tell Sir Quinn that he can forget about regular payment. He can just owe me a good night of drinking. Plus, if he gets the chance, tell him to use it to kill those two villains!"

"That's great work, Mabon," Aureus says. She looks at the others. "I need to go pray in the grove for my spells. I'm sure Phar will be there, and I'll check on Galzadar." He looks up towards Pendour Manor. "Someone should go get Quinn before he sleeps all day... not that that's a bad idea."

She heads towards the Grove of the North Gods.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Angus volunteers to get Quinn. He needs to give him the sword, at any rate. His mind is also on the previous night's prayers; after arriving in Carnell, Angus had spent several hours praying to Meilikki, asking for guidance. Then he had slept about two hours, before ending up here, with Caerth, looking at tracks. But it was ok; Angus had always been a short sleeper. There was always so much to be doing, sleep was the one thing that he always skimped on. His body's natural metabolism was so fast, his wounds would heal, even without a full night's rest.

Before trotting over to the Pendour Mansion, Angus turns to Caerth and nods.

Angus says, "Much respect for Aeron have I. Told me to serve you, he did. But see I now, that his true intention, to introduce us it was. Believe I now that knew, Aeron did, that become friends, we would. Glad of meeting you, I am."

Without further words, Angus trots over to Pendour Mansion, to wake up Quinn, and to give him his silvered sword.

Also on Angus' mind, is Azurak. He liked the weapon, although he feared its rage power might get him into trouble. But it was poorly balanced, and far too heavy, not sleek and quick like his clan sword. Perhaps he could find someone more worthy of owning it? Perhaps he could trade it to someone, perhaps for the big amulet, or one of the rings? He would think on it. But for now, he would hold on to Azurak; they were going to need it, to destroy the evil items with.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Meanwhile, in the Pendour Family Crypt:
Lady Elisabeth Pendour is sure what to do or what to tell them. She looks at the body of Brutus Wruck on the stone slab in front of her then at the empty stone slab behind her. No one knew. Her husband had insisted she keep it a secret from everyone, even Lord Garfield. The boy wasn't to be given any special treatment, but she couldn't help but worry about him.

He was her nephew after all.

Brutus had been the illegitimate son of her late husband's brother, Lord Theodard Pendour. His mother had been an ogre woman from the Thunder Mountains. She'd been a ranger and soldier for Carnell who died fighting against the mountain orcs of Rozar. Lord Theodard had loved her dearly and the two were a good match. He was a bear of a man and powerful warrior, but he too died. Killed in the streets of Sandbreak by an assassin's knife.

Brutus had been just a babe when it happened and had initially gone into an orphanage in the city. It was only when Peregrine learned of his nephew years later that the boy was brought into their home as a servant. Her husband taught the young half-ogre to fight and trained him to become a household guard. Someone to act as their daughter's guardian once she was old enough to be married.

The family eventually came to Carnell and then Peregrine died. She knew he never wanted the boy to know his true heritage but Elisabeth soon loved the boy like he was her own son. That is why she kept him in the manor most of the time. She had worried greatly about him when he was gone on the island with Sir Quinn and the others, and when he came back, she had insisted he stay to guard the village. She was sure he'd have died fighting against Tarrak's horde.

But, he died anyway.

"I cannot lose anyone else, my love," she says towards the sky. "He has to be the last one or I will die inside." She looks back at the empty slab. "Why did you leave me?"

"My lady, they are starting to wake," a voice calls out to her from outside the crypt. "They are gathering near the smithy."

Lady Pendour gets up off her knees and exits her family crypt. She is steeled. Determined. Angry. She rushes down the road towards Carnell with her lady in waiting trailing behind her. She doesn't wait for the guards. The battle taught her how to fight and survive, although without Carnell's heroes, she would have likely died.

She rushes towards the smithy while gathering her cloak around her. Those few who are awake and working to fix the damage to the village bow to her as she passes. They would do anything for her now. She comes upon them just after Aureus leaves for the grove. She'll tell her later, or they will. Angus begins trotting up the road towards her.

"I am glad you are all awake and feeling better," she says. "I hope you are going after the escaped prisoners right away. I need you to get something back from them. Brutus's ring is gone." She pauses. "His signet ring." She exhales. "It was his father's. My husband's brother. Brutus was my nephew." She pauses again. "No one but he and I knew. Well, I think Sir Ghal has always suspected."

She looks at Caerth, her eyes desperate. "I need that ring back before he can be properly buried in the crypt." She sighs. "And his axe should go up in the hall next to his uncle's family blade. If his father or mother were still alive, it would go to one of them. My brother-in-law did not have any other family. Brutus was the last male Pendour heir. Everything will go to my daughter now."

She looks up at the sky. "And there is something else... I just... discovered that my husband's remains are missing from the crypt... including the coffin and all the regalia," she begins sobbing. "Those bastards must have looted the crypt before they fled!"

Neurotic

Maur nods "Galzadar will have to wait then."

And think to himself "They had a necromancer in the town. It would be better the body is only looted."

"We may have a way of freeing Galzadar spirit too, lady. But it will take some time. Time we don't have if we're going after the ring."

Last edited:

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
Quinn is feeling pain for the first time in a long time. He felt the cloud of poison drain away a part of him, to the point of a bit of color of his skin had paled. But the rest he had in an actual bed, a*comfortable* bed like that given to the champion gladiator, had allowed his body to fully recover it vitality overnight.

He draws the scimitar, "Cruel Justice" and he gives a respectful nod to the naked adamentine blade, "good morning, blade of the stars. We have justice to meter out today, The duegar has broken his solemn vow. By the law of the land, that is a sentence of death. May I be the one who wields you to administer this justice? And to bring justice to the boy, Brutus' murder?"

Its not a prayer, but an honest question for the weapon to consider. As for an actual prayer, he moves to a window and faces to the grove and gets on his knees in supplication, " Those of you have smiled on us and given us this victory, I thank you. I do not know your names, but my companions do and I thank you for protecting them and I. We have further work to be done aand I humbly ask for your favorable gaze to continue to smile upon us in our endeavors."

After a short monment of silence he stands and dresses to prepare for the day - Food being one of the first .. .. ..

Neurotic

"Lady Pendour, I came here to tell everyone I have the third component for the cleansing ritual for Galzadar. And if Caerth prepares Atonement today, we can do it immediately.

I already prepared spells needed to locate the fugitives. I can also call celestial allies and send them after them while we deal with the elf. Xander might be too strong for them, but not necessarily. And Eike almost certainly isn't.

I have Consecrate in case we want to do the ritual away from the sacred grove. I prepared things to protect him and us from evil...it will take about 2 hours total so we can still start tracking."

He looks at the group
"I am loathe to let the killers go, but they can be tracked later and Galzadar is a threat in this state."

Remove ads