L4W Discussion Thread IV

covaithe

Explorer
What they said. Ability scores were added to the list of things you could change in your overhaul by a later proposal, IIRC. Presumably the character guide didn't get updated.

Atriden

First Post
Punishment Patrol Seeking Members!

Do you have the guts to hang out with one of Dauntons infamous groups? Then why don't check out our new [http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-4th-edition/269045-adventure-love-bites.html]. DM'ed by none other than Covaithe!

We are looking for one or two people, about level 3, and someone whom has nothing against the following examples:

- Theft
- Torture
- Sexual references
- Dismemberment
- Breaking and entering
- Working with undead's
- Strong language
- Working with wanted men
- Paranoia

Send me a message if you interested :D

Last edited:

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Judges, especially Ozymandias,

I just screwed up, giving Tenchuu a rhythm blade bastard sword. Unfortunately, the rhythm blade is supposed to be a dagger. The only differences between the two are that the dagger does only 1d6 damage, and it can be thrown. The bastard sword does 1d10, and cannot be thrown (normally). Since one offsets the other (damage/range) I figure it's not too unbalanced, but I decided to let you all know in case you wanted to weigh in on this.

covaithe

Explorer
Judges, especially Ozymandias,

I just screwed up, giving Tenchuu a rhythm blade bastard sword. Unfortunately, the rhythm blade is supposed to be a dagger. The only differences between the two are that the dagger does only 1d6 damage, and it can be thrown. The bastard sword does 1d10, and cannot be thrown (normally). Since one offsets the other (damage/range) I figure it's not too unbalanced, but I decided to let you all know in case you wanted to weigh in on this.

At a quick look, the thing that gives me pause is that it only has a benefit (above a plain magic weapon) when wielded off-hand. Don't most powers and such use your main-hand weapon, unless it specifies that you hit with both?

So the only people who are going to use this are rangers who dual wield heavy blades. I'm... not thrilled about that. One of the things that you give up, by choosing to wield heavy blades off-hand, is that you lose access to some of the light-blade-only enchantments for your off hand. If we ignore that distinction, then there's no downside at all for using higher damage weapons in your off hand.

I don't think it's particularly unbalancing in this specific case, but as a precedent, I dislike it.

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Didn't mean so start some descent into chaos. Just misread the gift before I gave it. In any case, Jin is a ranger with the two-handed fighting style. He's already used to using a bastard sword in his off hand, so I imagine that this won't change much. Since he's not a rogue, he's not subject to light blade penalties, and he's going to have to give up the bastard sword to get light blade benefits, so I imagine I'll let him keep it if it's no big deal.

Remove ads