• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Labyrinth Combat

jorgeo

Explorer
I'm going mythological Greek on my players and I'd like to run them through a minotaur labyrinth. But I want it to happen while there is combat going on. For storyline purposes, Minotaur isolates Player A and battles him solo (monster wants him to prove himself) and sends others to the maze.

I like skill challenges for more abstract situations, but I have very mobile players so I went to an online maze maker and came up with the attached image.

So what's the best way to keep the rest of the party occupied in the maze? How do I make it interesting for the players? Do I make the passages double wide to allow more than single file? What kind of traps, monsters could I use? Ideally, the players wouldn't be around the maze for more than 8 rounds.

Attachments

• sample_maze.gif
    sample_maze.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 247

Is_907

First Post
Not sure what system you're running but you should look at the Chase Rules in Savage Worlds (Deluxe edition.) You can adapt the system pretty easily to any system, as it's based on a modified initiative roll/draw system.

Might make things more abstract but still allow for combat.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm going mythological Greek on my players and I'd like to run them through a minotaur labyrinth. But I want it to happen while there is combat going on. For storyline purposes, Minotaur isolates Player A and battles him solo (monster wants him to prove himself) and sends others to the maze.
Warning! You have reached the limit of what a DM can plan for!

If you're dead set on this, might I recommend some way the two events can influence each other. For example (assuming there's no teleportation in your party), narrow grates the rest of the PCs can peer thru as they navigate the maze with the battle royale at the center. The PC battling the Minotaur might receive their help in the form of healing or cheap magic missile shots. They in turn could receive guidance about navigating the maze based on what the singled out PC can perceive (or tease out of the Minotaur).

S

Sunseeker

I would make some passageways double-wide, others not. And ya know the usual traps, dangerous creatures, maybe zombies/spirits of former adventurers who died in the maze.

And of course there's always the ever fun option of having the maze rearrange itsself periodically.

the Jester

Legend

I see a couple of problems.

1. How do you isolate one pc?

2. How boring is the rest of the session for the rest of the party?

If you can solve both of those without railroading things, you're in good shape, but I'm pretty dubious as to how easily one can solve either one. IMHO, if you take meaningful choice away from the pcs in accomplishing either goal, you have failed.

The first words many gamers learn are "Never split the party!"

jorgeo

Explorer
I recommend some way the two events can influence each other.

I was thinking that the battle would happen above the maze on a glass floor of sorts. Both sides could see each other. There would be breathing grates along the way for ranged stuff to go through.

I see a couple of problems.

1. How do you isolate one pc?

2. How boring is the rest of the session for the rest of the party?

Isolating one PC might be easier than my original notion of having the minotaur activate a trap switch for the rest of the party to fall (they will prob pass their saving throws anyway). He might just "fish" him out of the maze into the combat zone.

The fight and the maze would happen simultaneously (turn based). Player 1 could help the rest of the party navigate the maze for 5-6 rounds, maybe killing a few minions on the way, avoiding a couple of traps and then jumping out to help their friend. Maybe even break through the glass and cause a collapse of whatever is above them.

DnD_Dad

First Post
Remember that other people/creatures get stuck in the maze. Also that everyone needs food, water and shelter. Let one of them get hurt and it happens in a dead magic zone(no healing) and make it so one character has to remain down to heal as other players explore to find food, wood and water. If they are going into a maze it's for the long run, not just a quick hour.

Loonook

First Post

I like skill challenges for more abstract situations, but I have very mobile players so I went to an online maze maker and came up with the attached image.

So what's the best way to keep the rest of the party occupied in the maze? How do I make it interesting for the players? Do I make the passages double wide to allow more than single file? What kind of traps, monsters could I use? Ideally, the players wouldn't be around the maze for more than 8 rounds.

Why oh why do you want to use a maze for a labyrinth?

Make a unicursal (one course) Chartres-style labyrinth.

Labrinte1.GIF

The center has your trapped combatant, and you cannot go backwards, only forwards... Always forwards, ever forwards. The whole thing of the labyrinth is that it was made to trap the Minotaur IN and not keep It OUT.

cmz_22_7_1e.jpg

The battle isn't getting through for the rest of the party; the fighter survives battling the minotaur as they have to keep through the winding passages, hearing a noise here, echoes there, the spinning of gears. The true danger is when you have the weakened singleton, poisoned by the Minotaur's horns, and some villain laughing his head off as they just made their bed to lie in it. Getting back OUT is the maze, As the whole thing turns into what you've created with time and weakness on its side.

Make small asides of the path as the players move through, and associate those paths to each step they need to take. Will make for an interesting little set piece :).

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Remove ads