Ladies and gentlemen! Even more difficult! (may contain spoilers)

Someone

Adventurer
And now The Daredevil will do a tripe backflip with his motorcicle over a 100 foor long tank filled with piranhas and electric eel, while escaping from his straitjacket!

Now a bit more seriously, whats the most improbable, contrived and over the top stunt you remember from any movie? Those two are my candidates; these are spoilers, so continue reading the thread at your own risk:

From Peter Jackson's King Kong, running on the edge of a crumbling cliff, carrying all that movie making stuff, among a stampede of brontosaurs while a pack of velociraptors try to kill and eat you.

And the winner is Pirates of the Caribbean: at world's end: doing swordplay while carrying a chest, balancing on top of a mast in a rainstrom on a ship that's about to be swallowed by a gigantic whirlpool.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Contrived?

Oh, no, an avalanche! Fortunately, our protagonist is an Extreme Sports Expert, and can snowboard ahead of it!

-Hyp.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
That corkscrew jump in The Man with the Golden Gun. Apparently some engineer designed the stunt for a motor show, and one of the producers of the movie saw it, and decided that would be a really cool thing to put in a James Bond movie. And so it was.

Thanee

First Post
James Bond diving after a plane, which is racing towards the ground in a mountain gorge (hope that's the right word?), entering the plane mid-air and getting it back to level and up before hitting the ground.

Transporter 2 (I think), where he manages to detach a bomb from under his car by corkscrew-jumping under a crane and having the crane's 'hook' hit the bomb.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

lrsach01

Explorer
Let me get this straight...
1. Magical Compass
2. Undead
3. Ship that moves unnaturally fast and has creepy smoke
4. Cursed gold
5. Tentacle-bearded, cursed pirate
6. Living heart kept in chest
7. ANOTHER cursed ship that can also travel underwater
8. reincarnated pirate

All of these happened in the first two movies (I won't spoil the third) and there is COMPLAINING about an impossibly balanced, Jackie Chan-esque sword fight?

Oh brother....;)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Thanee said:
James Bond diving after a plane, which is racing towards the ground in a mountain gorge (hope that's the right word?), entering the plane mid-air and getting it back to level and up before hitting the ground.

My first thought was in Indiana Jones and the temple of doom - plane going to crash/escape on life raft/floats through air/slides down snow/goes over cliff/floats through air again/lands in rapids

...But I think your James Bond one is better!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Plane Sailing said:
My first thought was in Indiana Jones and the temple of doom - plane going to crash/escape on life raft/floats through air/slides down snow/goes over cliff/floats through air again/lands in rapids

...But I think your James Bond one is better!
Did not Mythbusters show that this 'could- possible' work...sure it would be highly unlikely a human could pull it off but... ;)

Squire James

First Post
Actually, the MythBusters episode completely, totally, 100% debunked it. They didn't even try to test anything like the actual movie scene... at best the raft might have rendered Indy and gang Mostly Dead... if executed from 1/10th the apparent distance.

shilsen

Adventurer
Bah - You silly Westerners have no idea what a contrived and over the top stunt is! Come and check out some Indian movies and I'll show you what that really means. Here are a few examples:

* In the Bengali movie Avinash, starring Mithun Chakraborty. He's playing a character who has a brain tumor that gives him amnesia and super powers (don't ask!). Someone shoots him in the head, and the bullet passes into his brain on one side and out the other, taking the tumor with it.

* Another Bengali movie, same hero. He's fighting two guys but only has one bullet. He fires the gun and hurls a knife, which splits the bullet in mid-air, letting it hit both targets.

* Tamil movie, starring Rajnikant. There's a villain on one side of a wall too high to scale (though Rajnikant has regularly leaped short buildings in other movies), so Rajnikant throws a gun in the air and shoots its trigger with another gun, making the first one fire in mid-air over the wall and kill the bad guy.

Behold the AWESOMENESS!

jonathan swift

First Post
Squire James said:
Actually, the MythBusters episode completely, totally, 100% debunked it. They didn't even try to test anything like the actual movie scene... at best the raft might have rendered Indy and gang Mostly Dead... if executed from 1/10th the apparent distance.

Um, not quite. They did determine that a raft made a great parachute though.

Remove ads