• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lamest Creature You've used to good effect in your campaign

Kunimatyu

First Post
Simm said:
Has anyone used Gricks at all?

Sure. The party walks into a large cavern, and after a few minutes, they hear a chirping. Then more chirping.

Somebody shines a torchlight up, and they see tentacled forms wrapped around the stalactites. The forms drop to the ground, some on top of PCs.

Totally freaked the PCs out. :)

Xyanthon

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Sure. The party walks into a large cavern, and after a few minutes, they hear a chirping. Then more chirping.

Somebody shines a torchlight up, and they see tentacled forms wrapped around the stalactites. The forms drop to the ground, some on top of PCs.

Ah, now that is a freaky idea. I like it :]

Soel

First Post
I recently used Nilbogs cast as cultists of Hastur, complete with "bull-rush pcs off of the cliff, and them plummet down onto them" tactic. This was in a re-imagining of Keep on the Borderlands.

Raven Crowking

First Post
davidschwartznz said:
I've also had fun with the Gelatinous Cube: Tunnels of Pendemonium... a gelatinous cube with a skeleton floating upright within it... fighter, only seeing a floating corpse, says, "I charge!"... fails his save vs. paralyzation. It's moments like that that DMs live for.

Hey, I've done that too! :D

(The illustrations with skeletons in the cube just scream for it!)

As far as gricks go, there are some (3.0) encounters in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=93497

ForceUser

Explorer
Kunimatyu said:

A+ for you. That's freaking fantastic!

Huw

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Aranea are lame? Shapechanging spider spellcaster masterminds who infiltrate and manipulate jungle cities are lame?

They used to be lame, when they just had bit parts in Isle of Dread and Castle Amber. Then Red Steel gave them a terrific back story. These guys invented powerful spells which would work on anything except another aranea (for donating to other races), and bred parasitic insects which hunted dragons.

So we have cunning dragon-hating spell researchers. And what do they become in 3e - sorcerors! Now they're back to lame.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads