land value

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
in the Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, they talk of a section of a grant known as a hundred, or a tract of land consisting of 100 acres.

it also gives guidlines on builds and construction costs IIRC.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I've always disagreed with the notion of patterning a D&D economy too closely after any real world examples - including medieval, feudal Europe. Most campaigns are NOT run like medieval Europe but like a bizzare mix of medieval trappings trying to imitate modern western civilizations. People don't play D&D to simulate Dark Ages economic models - they play for ADVENTURE.

For most gaming groups, you're probably right. Even so, these kinds of details can really add to the verisimilitude of a setting. A couple of the people I play with, as well as I, enjoy dealing with the economics of a fantasy world. Of course, other players couldn't care less and just want to drink beer and smash things.

From a game perspective though, I have to warn the original poster about pricing land too low. Unless you're willing to rethink the entire game's economy, high level characters will be able to sell their sword and buy a kingdom.

Gabriel Gowell

First Post
Unfortunately, there is little-to-no correlation between medieval-to-modern realty. Recently (my wife DM'd for the second time, I helped with the numbers and some plot hooks) our party can be rewarded with lands and titles, or 1000gp, for saving the son of an earl. The title is knight, the lowest of the low. The land: 1 acre (660^2 ft^2) per PC, nestled near the base a rocky mountain, at the edge of the earldom. By taking the land option, the PCs will be the first line of defense against marauders (think Fallout IV: settlement needs your assistance). This gives the PCs more options (like, to be the denizens of a dungeon, set traps, guard their loot).

SwivSnapshot

First Post
IRL land values are dictated by (((highest and best use x location) x demand) x a little Kentucky windage). In other words the experts are making a best guess. Unless you want to do a lot of behind the scenes calculations, the simplest way to make it work in game is to make the land jest expensive enough to make the PC's feel the bite of having to buy it- if a PC has 10k gp, then the land is worth 6.5k gp.

If you want the PC's to have a base to wrk from that keeps them tied to a location, then a land grant from the government will work or they can homestead after clearing out a haunted mansion or a particularly vile monster.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
Something that made an impression on me while flying into Paris was how in use the countryside was. Just about everything was parceled up by walls and hedges, and was almost all cultivated, building, or road.

Then, when did Europe gets so filled up, and how does that color ones sense of land availability? And, what is (or was) the situation, say, in China or Japan -- or Australia.

Thx!
TomB

SwivSnapshot

First Post
Something that made an impression on me while flying into Paris was how in use the countryside was. Just about everything was parceled up by walls and hedges, and was almost all cultivated, building, or road.

Then, when did Europe gets so filled up, and how does that color ones sense of land availability? And, what is (or was) the situation, say, in China or Japan -- or Australia.

Thx!
TomB

I'm no expert, but I do know that it's a wicked complex equation that factors in form of government, governmental land policy, age of the country, population, age of the population, geography, etc., etc., etc.

You might be able to compare France and Japan or China and Australia without getting brain hurt, but comparing France to Australia or Japan to China...ouch!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The Adventurer, Conqueror, King game, which put a HUGE amount of time and effort into its economics, values an acre of good land at 50 gp. I don't even really care where the number came from; it is so useful that you can more or less develop and entire economic system from it (which they did).

tomBitonti

Adventurer
I'm no expert, but I do know that it's a wicked complex equation that factors in form of government, governmental land policy, age of the country, population, age of the population, geography, etc., etc., etc.

You might be able to compare France and Japan or China and Australia without getting brain hurt, but comparing France to Australia or Japan to China...ouch!

China I am thinking has been filled up for quite as well, just the same for Europe and Japan. I threw in Australia in comparison since it is quite the opposite.

But, filled up applies to habitable or positionally valuable land. I would think there are huge swaths of desert and mountain which are rather empty and would be cheap to acquire.

Thx!
TomB

Remove ads