• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lasso rules???

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Nothing official. (I don't know if there are any, but there's a d20 setting with wild west elements, if I recall correctly).

Should be like this:
- Exotic Weapon (with higher-than-normal penalties if you don't have the proficiency)
- Make a trouch attack. If you hit, the lasso's around the enemie's body (or a portion thereof). You then can make trip attacks (see whip for details), If you drop the lasso, you can pick it up again as it's still around the enemy.
- You get +2 on disarm checks, but only on weapons that do no slashing damage (as they would just cut through).
- damage: none (but see below). Crit: 17-20. If you score a crit when trying to get hold with the lasso, you hit the neck and can deal 1d6 strangling damage per round. If you manage to get the lasso 'round a branch or something and pull the enemy up, he'd also start to suffocate
- to get free from a lasso, you must make an escape artist check (dc = your ranged attack bonus, as you can hold it taut), a strength check (against your str check) or cut it with a slashing weapon (standard action, attack against AC 10 or so needed)

I just made that up as I went along, but surely others will contribute to this, and I will improve one thing or two. For improvements, you can look up the whip (in PHB), the garrote (in Song & Silence) and Use Rope and Escape Artist Skills.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Kae Yoss, I like these rules much!

One thing I'd consider modifying:

If someone gets a lasso around their neck, it oughtta have severe consequences. No spells with verbal components, or maybe (if you're feeling generous) they can cast such spells only with a concentration check DC 20+spell level + 1/2 strangulation damage taken each round.

Given that, I'd make it more difficult to crit with a lasso: since it's a touch attack, a crit threat will almost always be confirmed. And a cowboy who takes improved critical: lasso will be strangling people on a roll of 13-20. That's a huge range. Maybe make it 19-20 instead?

Finally, you might rule that a gorget (from Song & Silence) would protect against lasso crits entirely.

Otherwise, very cool!
Daniel

Xarlen

First Post
Also, check out the Harpoon. There needs to be rules about dragging someone toward you, via the lasso. Or the person who Is lassoed, pulling it out of the attacker's hands.

Zarthon

Explorer
Maybe if the Lasso ends up around someones neck we could use the same rules for strangulation as the Garrot.

Another question: What would the range increment of the lasso be? Im thinking maybe 10ft with the max distance been 20ft

Also does anybody have an idea what the d20 western game is called?

Last edited:

Corlon

First Post
lasso hmm

for a harpoon, it would be a grapple check same for dragging with a lasso.

and easier way would be to become a lasher (Sword and Fist prestige class) who uses a whip to do cool things like grab a person as they are falling to either help them up or drag the person down with them (you can tell the balrog had this class, heheh)

Shard O'Glase

First Post
I'd probably apply the special effects of a bolo, whip, and harpoon for it's primary benefits, though it did no daamge and like the whip has a set range and not range increments, maybe 20'. And then I'd gve it a crit range of 19-20 and on a crit it preformed a funciton similar to a garrote.

Remove ads