D&D 5E Latest D&D Errata: Drow, Alignment, & More

Sage Advice is a series of articles in which Jeremy Crawford, one of the D&D Studio’s game design architects, talks about the design of the game’s rules and answers questions about them. https://dnd.wizards.com/dndstudioblog/sage-advice-book-updates D&D books occasionally receive corrections and other updates to their rules and story. This Sage Advice installment presents updates to several...
Status
Not open for further replies.
E987FCF6-1386-4E95-9272-C02BF782C442.jpeg

Sage Advice is a series of articles in which Jeremy Crawford, one of the D&D Studio’s game design architects, talks about the design of the game’s rules and answers questions about them.

D&D books occasionally receive corrections and other updates to their rules and story. This Sage Advice installment presents updates to several books. I then answer a handful of rules questions, focusing on queries related to Fizban’s Treasury of Dragons and Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos.

Official errata has been published for the following books:
Here's some of the highlights.
  • Alignment is removed from the Racial Traits section of races.
  • Drow have undergone lore changes which reflect the different types of drow. The 'darkness of the drow' sidebar which portrays them as only evil has been removed.
  • Storm King's Thunder alters references to 'Savage Frontier' and 'barbarians'; Curse of Strahd alters references to the Vistani.
  • The controversial Silvery Barbs spell has been clarified.
As a drow, you are infused with the magic of the Underdark, an underground realm of wonders and horrors rarely seen on the surface above. You are at home in shadows and, thanks to your innate magic, learn to con- jure forth both light and darkness. Your kin tend to have stark white hair and grayish skin of many hues.

The cult of the god Lolth, Queen of Spiders, has cor- rupted some of the oldest drow cities, especially in the worlds of Oerth and Toril. Eberron, Krynn, and other realms have escaped the cult’s influence—for now. Wherever the cult lurks, drow heroes stand on the front lines in the war against it, seeking to sunder Lolth’s web.

I am at least curious how mind flayers will be described in the upcoming revised Monster Manual. Trying to see them describe the brain-eating, parasitic aliens prominently featured as the antagonists in Baldur's Gate 3 in a more neutral light will be...interesting.

As for yuan-ti, I'm not against having there be good yuan-ti but I am kind of glad I have Volo's Guide to Monsters for roleplaying advice on the evil yuan-ti and plan to still have their origin, at least, as the result of evil rituals even if their descendants aren't evil (same as how tieflings are presented...provided that doesn't get retconned, too).

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend

Oofta

Legend
The alignment changes in Volo's only apply to PC versions of the creatures, correct? I don't see that it really makes much of a difference, anyone playing a bugbear is already going to change it to something that makes sense for the group anyway. Assuming the group cares about PC alignment in the first place.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Here we go. This is a leap from what they've been doing, and definitely putting there words into action. 2024 is closer than we thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads