Legends of Lone Wolf (Live Stream)

DNDScholar

First Post
Hello, all! I'm not sure if anyone else here has ever played through the Gamebook series "Lone Wolf" by Joe Dever. It is a fantastic series, an epic adventure in the Choose Your Own format (but with battles and magic) with a single character spanning 20 books (and then 9 more books were written after starring a new character, before Joe passed away last year). The books were highly influential for an entire subset of gamers and DMs, not least of all myself, who has found Dever's influence to sneak into pretty much everything I do. I reference it several times in my campaign journals.

I have long wanted to do a solo run of Lone Wolf with a player, using the rules from 5e, which seem to me to perfectly fit the simple nature of the original rules and seem best suited to quickly convert its myriad of situations and adventures. Everywhere from deep disease ridden jungles to frozen wastelands, from other planes to high seas adventures, Lone Wolf eventually takes you there.

Well, for a couple of months now, I've been doing just that. You can tune in at MorgaKnight's Twitch channel, linked below. The videos will stay up for a week or two after the event and then will be transferred to a permanent YouTube location... see below for that as well! At the time of this posting we have twelve episodes, but only five have currently been uploaded.

Barring real-life interruptions, we play regularly on Saturdays at 11:00am (PST) so if you ever want to tune in live, you can.

I hope anyone who has interest will join us!

https://www.twitch.tv/morga_knight

(*also, if you have an interest in reading Lone Wolf, the entire series is hosted for free at Project Aon with permission of Joe Dever)

Past Episodes:

Episode 1: Flight From the Dark (up to the Gourgaz fight) (*Note that this was our first time and we had some technical issues. Nothing too bad, and nothing experience breaking, but my audio is a little choppy to start. My audio gets much better after the first hour, when we switched audio programs. It is fixed for the rest of the episode and future episodes!)
Episode 2: Flight From the Dark (up to book's end)
Episode 3: Fire on the Water (up to Ragadorn)
Episode 4: Fire on the Water (up to Hammerdal)
Episode 5: Fire on the Water (up to the adventure's end)

Zardnaar

Legend
Like my new carpet? I did some digging.

IMG_20180913_144733.jpgIMG_20180913_144733.jpg

DNDScholar

First Post
That's awesome! I see you also have the Legends of Lone Wolf books in there :) Most impressively, you have the European versions of the gamebooks, which were the unabridged versions. Are you from the UK then?

The next game is this Saturday, the 15th, at 11:00am!

Zardnaar

Legend
That's awesome! I see you also have the Legends of Lone Wolf books in there :) Most impressively, you have the European versions of the gamebooks, which were the unabridged versions. Are you from the UK then?

The next game is this Saturday, the 15th, at 11:00am!

I live in New Zealand. I grew up in a small town, found the 1st 8 gamebooks 2nd hand for $20 back in 1992 or so and the guy who owned them briefly played an Elf in 1994 in my 1st D&D campaign. He wrote his name on the Kai scroll.

The Legends books I started reading in 91 and bought them in a mom and pop type book store where I got most of the rest from with the exception of 1-2 of the novels. The 1st one I read was Shadow on the Sand in 1989.

Sacrifice at Ruanon I bought with my 1st paycheck I ever got at the age of 13. Also have 2 Magnamund companions and found some of the book 21-23 spare copies I sold on Ebay for $35 and $88 USD 10+ years ago.

Alot of the art has held up I think some of the covers are better than the D&D covers at least pre 5E anyway. Those and the Fighting Fantasy books were my gateway drug to D&D.

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Awesome! I loved Lone Wolf as a kid, and played through all the gamebooks that my local library had. I eventually purchased 1-10 with allowance money, but it was hard to find the others at the time. I still have my original copies. I also picked up the entire line of the d20 RPG, and own the new RPG from Cubicle 7.

Also if you aren't aware, digital copies of ALL the original gamebooks are hosted online for free, all legally approved by Joe Dever, at Project Aon

Lone Wolf heavily influenced my early D&D campaigns, and while its not as direct an influence anymore, it still factors in. :)

DNDScholar

First Post
Awesome! I loved Lone Wolf as a kid, and played through all the gamebooks that my local library had. I eventually purchased 1-10 with allowance money, but it was hard to find the others at the time. I still have my original copies. I also picked up the entire line of the d20 RPG, and own the new RPG from Cubicle 7.

Also if you aren't aware, digital copies of ALL the original gamebooks are hosted online for free, all legally approved by Joe Dever, at Project Aon

Lone Wolf heavily influenced my early D&D campaigns, and while its not as direct an influence anymore, it still factors in. :)

Project Aon is incredible: I helped with the early years of developing the project, though only in a very small way! Still, I've been there since the beginning. It was my first online community.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases