D&D 5E Leomund's Tiny Hut -- how to lower casting time?

IMO a spell that lasts a long time should take a long time to cast, like ... a minute, or ten minutes. In other words, it should be a 4e-style ritual. (I think it has a different name, but the spell existed in 4e just like that.)

I don't know how Quicken Spell works in 5e (if it even exists) but that's a good use for it. Cast this spell quickly, at higher level at higher cost. Does the spell have hit points? It should, and it shouldn't have ridiculous hardness the way Pathfinder's Wall of Force does.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So the surface of a table is a surface, as is the surface of a sheet of vellum that can be folded -- NOT "closed"!

It lists scrolls as an object as well - and those are not so much closed as rolled up, but fit the "closed object" definition. If a rolled up scroll counts as a closed object, so does a folded piece of vellum. The point is that the glyph can't move around once it has been cast, or it will be ruined - specifically so you *can't* do what you're trying to do here.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
p.193, "The only limits to the actions you can attempt are your imagination and your character's ability scores" (emphasis mine).

So my typical solution to this sort of player request is a wager system. I'd allow a 1-round casting time on Leomund's tiny hut for the low, low price of a DC 15 Intelligence check. Every round of the spell's duration. And on a failure (it's a wager system, right?) everyone in the hut gets hit by a 3rd-level spell. Let's say, 8d6 fire damage.

I know that's not exactly the RAW trick you were looking for but it's how I'd handle it as a DM.

drunkcynic

First Post
Despite the vast horrors for thread necromancy, I lurked across this in search of another thing and had to answer. Though it would likely require some fine tuning, I suggest a Ring of Spell Storing.

As a DM, here's how it would go in my game if this got to be a habit...

[Enemy Caster] (shrugs) <Dispel Magic>! [/Enemy Caster]

Last edited:

drunkcynic

First Post
Completely valid response; the DM running the group I'm in matched it against my Great Old One Tome Warlock addiction to Hunger of Hadar. The question posed was how to shorten the cast time; though admittedly my answer just pushes the casting to another time.

Sezarious

Explorer
Page 245 PHB: "If you choose an object, that object must remain in its place: If the object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken, and the spell ends without being triggered"

I know your next argument is 'but a surface is not an object!', but you want to do this according to RAW with a solid interpretation... Here is what i would think about trying:

-Work towards obtaining a bag of holding, get inside the bag and cast your spell on a scroll which you should keep close to the surface of the bag. You have cast the spell inside an interdimensional pocket, one with a portable entrance.

-Secondly, another way to abuse the spell is that you can use it to retarget caster only spells to others: Page 246PHB "The spell must target a single creature or area"..... Hmmm, even if the spell were, say Find Familiar?. Also, a lv6 Lore Bard could add the Glyph of Warding spell and The Paladin's Find Steed spell to his list and give the party their own telepathic steeds. A fighter can then run around with a familiar and a magic steed. The poor party Paladin feels less special now :(.

I remember this thread fondly as a brilliant bit of trolling, and this is one situation where I don't mean that as a negative.

Not sure why it didn't cross my mind at the time, but where the hell do you find a 10' by 10' calfskin? Must be some gargantuan cows.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I remember this thread fondly as a brilliant bit of trolling, and this is one situation where I don't mean that as a negative.

Not sure why it didn't cross my mind at the time, but where the hell do you find a 10' by 10' calfskin? Must be some gargantuan cows.

2452dc71029020eae7b63866c3786c92.jpg

Beware the dreaded stench kow.

You're welcome.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases