Lesser-known sci-fi settings

So I'm looking into a future sci-fi campaign. I have the rules system, and initially it was going to be a modified Star Wars setting, but after watch the new SW TV series, that came to a screeching halt.

I have no interest in Star Trek or any of it's spin-offs. Coriolis and Traveller are out. Cthulhutech is in the 'rob for scenarios' category. War Hammer 40k is just a bit too expansive in its reach for the moment, although it remains on my dream list.

What my players and I love are gritty decaying star empire settings; we've done the Firefly and Fading Suns settings to death.

Humans-only settings are fine. What I'm looking for is a well-developed, detailed sci-fi setting, preferable of an Empire or culture in grim decline. I already have rules.

If nothing else, I will jam together bits and pieces and use the new Alien RPG star map, but I was hoping that the lesser lights of RPG writing had done the job for me.

shesheyan

Explorer
Spilled Ale Studios

Are you aware of Esper Genesis sci-fi rules for 5e?

Are you aware of Esper Genesis sci-fi rules for 5e?

I was not. Thanks!

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
The old D20 Future (D20 Modern supplement) has several ”mini-settings” in it, encompassing various scifi tropes. A few pages describing each setting and their basic premises. There is at least a Starship Troopers type setting, a galactic community setting in the likes of SW/ST, and an eldritch horror in space ala Alien. Each is a bit generic and bare bones, but really good to build upon.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases