Lesser-known sci-fi settings

Bagpuss

Legend
Can I ask why Traveller is out? Too Space Opera?

They might like Traveller:New Era, which is Traveller after a collapse while it is technically the same setting it is very, very different in tone and theme.

Also 2300AD which is a hard sci-fi setting very well developed as well. No gravity plating, the main real change is FTL drive via "Sutterwarp" there is no FTL communication however.

Can I ask why Traveller is out? Too Space Opera?

They might like Traveller:New Era, which is Traveller after a collapse while it is technically the same setting it is very, very different in tone and theme.

Also 2300AD which is a hard sci-fi setting very well developed as well. No gravity plating, the main real change is FTL drive via "Sutterwarp" there is no FTL communication however.

I've played a lot of Traveller, but its has too little detail in many areas and too much in others. Just not the sort of thing I want to GM again. I will be using some of their old sups.

Retreater

Legend
"Deadlands: Lost Colony" for Savage Worlds Adventure Edition. It's literally the Old West in space, if you dig the feel of Firefly. I backed on Kickstarter, but I don't know if they PDF is available for general purchase yet.

practicalm

Explorer
If you are looking for settings consider Space Opera's star atlases

There are at least 2 empires that would work

Take the Mechwarrior universe without the mechs.

The Expanse could work if you ignore the events of the 8th book

Dark Matter (TV Show) could work if you wanted to work with corporate warfare

If you don't want space flight you can try Reign of Steel world book from GURPS
GURPS Vorkosigan would work as well for resisting the Barrayan empire or the crime syndicates of Jackson's Whole, or the Cetagandan Empire

Stargate has the Goa'uld, Wraith, Replicators or Ori to fight

Are you aware of Esper Genesis sci-fi rules for 5e?

OK, looked over the free stuff. Some interesting points, but I'm not interested in magic or major psi powers. But there are a couple interesting points I might look into adding.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Alternity's Star*Drive setting.
My knowledge of Alternity is poor (introduced via Gamma World, the combination did not feel the same) but the SD supplement I found at the library triggered my interest.

shesheyan

Explorer
OK, looked over the free stuff. Some interesting points, but I'm not interested in magic or major psi powers. But there are a couple interesting points I might look into adding.

Having stats for weapons and equipment is nice. Less work. Psi powers could work for me as it is an old school sci-fi trope. Magic definitely not.

Remove ads