Let Me Tell You About My Character...

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
EricNoah said:
It's like when people say "kids today have no values or respect or they hate school" or whatever. I teach in a middle school and I can tell you ... based on those kids alone, mind you! ... "kids today" do have values, they are very respectful, they enjoy being in school and learning, and they want to please adults. And yet I haven't seen all "kids today" so I'm in no better position to make a blanket statement than anyone else.

Yeah, everytime someone makes a blanket generalization about how things are so much worse than yesteryear, how civilization is on a downward slide, how kids are so much worse today than they were in the "old days," and even when someone goes on about how gamers today just play numbers not characters, I'm put in mind of this famous quote:

Socrates said:
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.

Yeah, that Socrates.

The Shaman

First Post
airwalkrr said:
Is character generation a lost art that has given way to "statistic generation?"
For a starting character, too much background is as bad as too little. What your character did in the past should never be anywhere near as cool as what s/he expects to do in the future.
airwalkrr said:
Is the story that important anymore or is D&D really just a tactical board game?
Tactical board games foster stories, too. Let me tell you about the time the Poles defeated the German blitzkrieg in our Third Reich game, effectively ending WWII by 1940...

darjr

I crit!
Market. It’s the first word he ever heard in common. A half orc fighter sold into the arena circuit to fight and die as cannon fodder. He won his first fight to everyone’s surprise, and the next, then the next and the next eventually earning his freedom.

He’s on a quest to find and rescue his brother, the only family he remembers, but it’s slowly dawning on him that the little stinky goblin, the elegant half eleven sorcerer, and the strange silent unseen warm one are his new family. He’d die for them, he has killed for them, and he’s held his pride and lost in the arena for them.

what a surprise it’ll be when he finds out it was his brother who sold him to the arena for a few copper

Remove ads