Let's get waaaay head of ourselves. :D

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
As most of these threads are, let's just...what'st he term...'jump the shark' or some such? Put the cart before the horse...or the book before the rules as the case may be.

PACKAGING & PRESENTATION!!

What/How would you like to see 5e packaged/presented upon print release?

Personally, I'm still hoping for a shiny new "Beginner/Starter/Adventurer's" box set (starting play and running characters up to level, say, 5) including:
-Players Manual (32 pages)
-Dungeon Masters Guide (64 pages, if monsters aren't included, 96 if they are)
-IF Monster listings/stats are not included in the DMG, then a separate "Monster Manual", "Creature Bestiary", "Nasty Critters Guide" whatever you want to call it (32 pages -that's enough to start. No need to give it all away on the first date ;)
-Spell Compendium (so listings/descriptions of all of the possible spells for the various caster classes are not taking up space in the Player's book)...but with some kinda evocative "better" name than SC, something like the "Endless Tome" (which is an artifact I created in my game world, actually) or the "Beginning Adventurer's Grimoire" or some such.) I would imagine this would need 64 pages...even if just breaking down spells for Cleric/Druid/Mage...for, like up to level 5 or something (so 1-3rd level spells)
-set of dice (preferably with a crayon to make the numbers show up better ;)
-Sample/Beginner Adventure Module

Soft bound is fine. Even "Digest size" for the "Monster" and "Spell" books makes sense.

If that works for the new 5e "Basic" game and they are going to do individual/further 5e "Advanced" materials...Then those 4 (PHB, DMG, MM and SC) would be more in depth, hard-backed book form.

What would you all like to see?
--SD

MortalPlague

Adventurer
That would be a neat way to package things.

After handling 4th Edition's Monster Vault, I'm a huge fan of the softcover digest-size books. I would love to see all the books released in that size. I suspect I'm in the minority on that one, however.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Make every book look like a tome of ancient secrets. 3e had some beautiful core books but unfortunately abandoned that approach with most of the supplements. A single really well-designed PHB should be the main point of entry into the game.

Hassassin

First Post
I would like to see the Basic Set (and the non-superhuman "tier" that was 1-6 in 3e) continue until level 10. No need to give many options for all those levels, just basic support.

Contents could be a player's booklet (including spells), a DM's booklet (including magic items), and an adventure (including monsters). 64 pages each. Adventure could be levels 1-5 or so, with hooks at the end for the DM to continue the campaign.

Regarding naming, if there is a book of spells, it should be called Grimoire. If there is a book of magic items, something evocative like Book of Wonders would be vastly preferable to Magic Item Compendium. I would prefer Monster Manual for the first full book of monsters, but Bestiary would work for a booklet or section of a DM's book.

Number48

First Post
If they do a starter's set, I hope and expect all the information in it to be repeated with the hardcovers. I don't want a starters set and I'll feel like I'm being cheated if they expect me to buy it and the hardcovers.

Is_907

First Post
Assuming the game is great...
I'd love to see leather bound core books again. A friend of mine in university had the 3.5e PHB in leather (with the bookmarks...) and it was soooo sexy.
He had another copy for loaning out and table use... but he'd sit there with the leather one and it just looked awesome. ;)

I'm hoping for a twin release:

1) The traditional "three hardbacks" release of PHB, DMG & MM. This would contain the basic rules plus much of the modular options.

2) A boxed "Basic" set, containing the just the basic rules without the modular options and written in a style for beginners who maybe haven't roleplayed before.

Astrosicebear

First Post
I think they should release a nice hard bound PHB/MM/DMG as a limited run.

I also think they should release a soft cover edition of these books ala essentials, including maybe some form of starter box at launch.

I believe they need to release the PHB online .pdf for free. Or at the very least the starter version of the PHB (the one in the beginner box that has extended play available and not just rules for the included board game scenario).

Cost is a huge factor for most gamers in aquiring or even being interested in a new edition. Make it like drugs, the first one is free to get them in the door, once they are hooked, splatbook out the wazoo. (not endorsing this, but as a business model it works)

DNH

First Post
That would be a neat way to package things.

After handling 4th Edition's Monster Vault, I'm a huge fan of the softcover digest-size books. I would love to see all the books released in that size. I suspect I'm in the minority on that one, however.
Nope. I love this format too. The 4e Rules Compendium is a great book and I too would love to see all the books released in a similar format.

Szatany

First Post
Player's Handbook - 100 pages of rules + 200 pages of character creation and advancement (300p)
Dungeon Master's Guide - 100 pages of how to run the game + 200 pages of monsters, traps, diseases etc. (300 pages)
Forgotten Realms (or other setting) book - 200-300 pages
a 64 page soft cover adventure, including some sample characters and character sheets

Remove ads