D&D 5E Let's talk about WoTC Book Covers

I think the main issue with the 5E core book covers, for me, is that they feel like they're from a recent but outdated aesthetic era, and even when they were new, they didn't feel fresh.

I think this was the result of underinvestment in 5E, particularly the art, by WotC generally, who I suspect didn't have huge faith in it, and where they certainly didn't anticipate the level of success it was going to have. Back at the time I was whinging a lot about how MtG had fantastic art even on tiny one-off cards, but 5E's actual covers didn't even seem to be at that standard. It seems like more recently the gap has closed somewhat though. Which makes sense given D&D is now this huge profit driver. Also I don't think anyone, even new players, can be particularly attached to the smeary cover and "huh"-ish covers of the PHB and DMG (the MM maybe).

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I agree the first edition books were not particularly bright (though the Fiend Folio was a nice bright blue). I guess if I were WoTC, I might have got a different artist to do each cover.

I mean ultimately it's not a Big Deal in the scheme of things...just something that has bugged me about this and colour schemes in general

MGibster

Legend
I would definitely consider a consistent house art style a feature not a bug, but to each their own.
I can't point to anything specifically bad about the 5E art but I don't find it particularly evocative. It's serviceable but I don't think I've seen anything I'd want hanging on my wall.

Remove ads