D&D 5E Let's Talk About Yawning Portal

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Wondering if anyone has pondered running TftYP in the virtual reality world if "Ready Player One" I.e. The players are themselves and the PCs their avatars. The game is a presented as a competition to win some prize, perhaps there's some fake leaderboard which shows the team rankings?

I dunno, it's a random thought that just came into my head as a fun twist on the usual. A game within a game kind of thing.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Wondering if anyone has pondered running TftYP in the virtual reality world if "Ready Player One" I.e. The players are themselves and the PCs their avatars. The game is a presented as a competition to win some prize, perhaps there's some fake leaderboard which shows the team rankings?

I dunno, it's a random thought that just came into my head as a fun twist on the usual. A game within a game kind of thing.

The more I think about this the more I like it :)

jasper

Rotten DM
robus the vr stick is just a reskining of it just a dream. And Ready player one was bloody average read which only had "if you loved the 80s" flavor helping it. Ctrl Alr Revolt was better.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
robus the vr stick is just a reskining of it just a dream. And Ready player one was bloody average read which only had "if you loved the 80s" flavor helping it. Ctrl Alr Revolt was better.

Sure it's just a different conceit to the usual one - but for a bit a fun it seems it could be interesting. And yeah, well that's just like your opinion, man ;) I've read it twice and enjoyed it both times.

schnee

First Post
Ready player one was bloody average read which only had "if you loved the 80s" flavor helping it. Ctrl Alr Revolt was better.

I read it right before The Peripheral, which had a very similar world and even some similar plot beats, and Ready Player One came off poorly in comparison. Like cotton candy compared to duck confit. (I prefer duck confit.)

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I read it right before The Peripheral, which had a very similar world and even some similar plot beats, and Ready Player One came off poorly in comparison. Like cotton candy compared to duck confit. (I prefer duck confit.)

Haha, I was wondering what kind of flavour Duck confit Cotton Candy was. Well played sir.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I'd love to hear more opinions on adventures OTHER than Tomb of Horrors (which I never intended to run except as a lark).

Personally, I think Sunless Citadel looks really fun and faithful to the original. I plan to run it as soon as my current campaign ends. I was considering including some of the goblin and kobold variants from Volo's Guide as well, but those might be too powerful. In terms of difficulty, it looks to be about the same as the original.

I'm less familiar with Forge of Fury, but it looks good. I'd like to come up with a good hook that will entice the players to explore the whole thing and not just down to the third level. As it is, none of the adventure hooks really give players a reason to tackle Nightwing.

I'm really not sure what to think about Against the Giants. Months ago, I was considering running my own conversion of it, but the players never took the bait, and the campaign went in a different direction. I'm sort of glad for it, because the adventure seems very combat-heavy, and giants aren't the most interesting foes. What do others think?

Remove ads