Letter of Intent (Sent... Now waiting...)

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Okay, honest question here.

I've made requests of several publishers here over the past year concerning the use of their material. I can honestly give thanks to Mystic Eye Games, Sword & Sorcery Studios, Netherland Games, Mongoose, Bastion, Malhavoc, Green Ronin, Chainmail Bikini, and Nyambe/Titan. I even ask posters (non-publishers that simply have posted their house-rules and ideas) before I adopt their concepts and use them.

To date, responses have always been speedily forthcoming (well, one hold up, but that was due to a dead email address, it's been cleaned up now).

A short time ago, however, I sent a Letter of Intent to another publisher. I received a confirmation of delivery, informing me that my request was forwarded to the appropriate individual and to expect an answer shortly. Thing is, shortly has come and gone.

Now, my question is: How long should I wait? "Shortly" has come and gone, and I'd really like to use this mechanic as written. Sure, I could mimic it, probably with little difficulty. But why do so when it's near-perfect as written? Isn't it better to use the original, thus further promoting the original product? How long would you wait? How long would you expect others to wait in the event that you forgot to reply to such?

For the record, I do have a question pending with WotC over a fan-site issue; This isn't about that question, as I understand the delays involved in the matter.:D

Bendris Noulg

First Post
3 weeks?!

Ehr... Oh, alright. That sounds reasonable, at any rate.

Consequently, these folks don't post here, either (at least, I've never seen them post here...).

tensen

First Post
I would say it depends on the size of the publisher. But for most cases, you probably should hear a responce before 3 weeks.

I think at this point, we've heard responce back by Necromancer, Mystic Eye, and Natural 20 Press within a day.

It depends on just what you are asking for, and how many staff members it has to go through. It is possible that in the forwarding it either got to the wrong person or was lost.

Bendris Noulg

First Post
I've forwarded your email message to [Person A], president of [Company B]...

O'vell... Anyhow, in review, I did get Person A's email... It likely is time to send a reminder before moving forward.

Thanks, folks.

Remove ads