Level Up (A5E) Level Up A5e Podcast: Mysteries of the Mournland

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Hi everyone! You might have heard me on this week's episode of Morrus's Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk. I just realized today that I should tell y'all about my podcast!

Last month we launched Mysteries of the Mournland, the first-ever A5e actual play podcast! It is a horror game, and it's set in Eberron. New episodes every Friday!

I've been consuming horror media basically non-stop this year, and this podcast represents that all coming to a head. Major influences are The Magnus Archives, Old Gods of Appalachia, and Eberron Renewed.

Mysteries of the Mournland follows the story of the Olarune 20 Commission, a body of international appointees hand-picked to determine the origin of the Day of Mourning (Eberron's greatest mystery). But the demons of the Mournland are just a portion of the trials at hand. To complete their mission, the heroes must collaborate with enemies masquerading as friends, as well as face the darkness within their own minds.

Our season 1 cast:
  • Cassandra, playing Rook (changeling sorcerer), coerced into the Mournland and snared by circumstances beyond their control
  • Will, playing Senteq (gnome artificer), whose good nature belies his cunning and cutthroat methods
  • David, playing Shethrezar (dragonborn cleric), called to slay forces of darkness yet bedeviled by apocalyptic visions
  • Sloan, playing Vanguard (warforged fighter), drawn to the Mournland by a 1% chance to restore something more precious than his own life

I hope you all will join us on our adventure! We are available most anywhere you get your podcast!

Xethreau

Curious, is this just using the Level Up Playtest Material?
No, the players often times have up-to-date A5e rules, and the narrator has access to the entire system as it exists now. For example, Vanguard uses the up-to-date maneuver system, and he also uses one of the all-new fighter archetypes built for our rendition of the fighter. The narrator has access to the up-to-date A5e monster registry--plus other monsters from other 3rd party sources because of backward compatibility.

Keep in mind, the rule system is not finalized! Still plenty of blank spaces. Also, the system is constantly evolving--and so things presented on the show may occur differently than in the publication. Naturally, we won't be able to share our character sheets with the public until after the Kickstarter!

VanguardHero

Adventurer
No, the players often times have up-to-date A5e rules, and the narrator has access to the entire system as it exists now. For example, Vanguard uses the up-to-date maneuver system, and he also uses one of the all-new fighter archetypes built for our rendition of the fighter. The narrator has access to the up-to-date A5e monster registry--plus other monsters from other 3rd party sources because of backward compatibility.

Keep in mind, the rule system is not finalized! Still plenty of blank spaces. Also, the system is constantly evolving--and so things presented on the show may occur differently than in the publication. Naturally, we won't be able to share our character sheets with the public until after the Kickstarter!
Oh absolutely, I was just curious if that was the case. Having that sneak peak feeling is a really nice hook and I'll def try and add it into my Actual Play rotation :D

Xethreau

Oh absolutely, I was just curious if that was the case. Having that sneak peak feeling is a really nice hook and I'll def try and add it into my Actual Play rotation :D
Since it is highly edited to avoid a lot of the awkward moments of actual play, Some folks have said it feels a little bit more like an audio drama, so keep that in mind if you're struck by a picky mood

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
I have really been loving this. It feels almost more like a radio play with RPG mechanics than a typical Actual Play and I am very much here for it.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Since it is highly edited to avoid a lot of the awkward moments of actual play, Some folks have said it feels a little bit more like an audio drama, so keep that in mind if you're struck by a picky mood
Thanks for the heads-up on that. I've run into the problem before where I expected an actual play and got what seemed for all the world to be story hour. Nothing wrong with that, but not what I want in a gaming podcast.

Xethreau

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I've run into the problem before where I expected an actual play and got what seemed for all the world to be story hour. Nothing wrong with that, but not what I want in a gaming podcast.
I would still encourage you to try it out. The game elements are not omitted, although in combat some are abbreviated.

edit:
As a point of reference, MotM is about as highly edited as Harmon Quest except more forward with game mechanics. There are still jokes and off-topics, just not tone-breakingly so. We are not pretending to be an audio drama, we're just good at improv.

Last edited:

Remove ads