Blog (A5E) Level Up & Electronic Tools

Another vote for Foundry support (maybe a stretch goal?). I just took the plunge, moving away from Roll20. Although I liked the direct support from WOTC (i.e., could purchase an adventure directly), I found the interface for Roll20 slow and clunky. Plus, with large maps, the game pace would slow down.

Foundry was a little daunting to use at first (esp. figuring out how to import from D&D Beyond), it's become our group's favourite. Not only is the s/w far more responsive (even on low-powered machines), it includes better lighting and sound, logical treatment of doors and windows, fast encounter creation, amazing automation capabilities (so a PC can drop a fireball on a group of monsters, see the template and then we can auto-apply the saves and damages). And there is great customization through modules.

Nebulous

Legend
Another vote for Foundry support (maybe a stretch goal?). I just took the plunge, moving away from Roll20. Although I liked the direct support from WOTC (i.e., could purchase an adventure directly), I found the interface for Roll20 slow and clunky. Plus, with large maps, the game pace would slow down.

Foundry was a little daunting to use at first (esp. figuring out how to import from D&D Beyond), it's become our group's favourite. Not only is the s/w far more responsive (even on low-powered machines), it includes better lighting and sound, logical treatment of doors and windows, fast encounter creation, amazing automation capabilities (so a PC can drop a fireball on a group of monsters, see the template and then we can auto-apply the saves and damages). And there is great customization through modules.
Another vote for Foundry. I'm still using Roll20 (and I love it, I really don't have issues much but I do realize the automation aspect sucks) but Foundry looks amazing. I have it, but haven't delved into it enough to learn the mechanics, much less answer player questions. I'm not looking forward to the learning curve. If they released the Zeitgeist module for Foundry with all the dynamic lighting maps, I would be extremely happy.

Remove ads