Level Up (A5E) Level Up's Future?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interesting that monster books aren't part of the plan (right now). Those sell really well, and your designs are generally quite good. Or class books (bloat city!).

I'm very tempted to write some adventures using these rules.
We want to do what WoTC isn't doing.

I can tell you what I want to do. But this is all just hopes and dreams right now.
For the latter, that would consist of:
  • a fantasy cultural setting book written entirely by people from that culture
  • a genre book, starting with future, then modern, etc.
We need to do what WotC isn't doing. They make adventures, so we don't need to. Their adventures will work with our game. We can do sci-fi, and modern, and cultures they aren't doing.

I'd correct you on one point. IMO WotC doesn't make adventures. They make big campaign books. We're really lacking in any smaller adventures or dungeons like we got back in the 3rd ed days. It's all big, and tbh not well organized at times, campaigns.

Well, ok, to be fair Candlekeep Mysteries is a series of small adventures, but the format feels like a larger campaign. But personally I'd like to be able to purchase more small, individual adventures.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Paul Hughes, I'm pretty sure, does want to do a Monstrous Menagerie II.
If so, I beg on bended knee for y'all to remember: just because it's an arthropod doesn't mean it needs to have a queen. Only ants, wasps, bees, termites, a couple of types of shrimps, and two types of mole rats have a eusocial structure.

Sorry, but this has always been a major pet peeve of mine, and I wept bitter tears* when I saw that the ankheg has been turned into such a creature instead of remaining as a gloriously non-social monstrous chilopods. It's as bad as when 3e (or maybe Pathfinder, can't remember) had eusocial spiders. "Queen" ankhegs shall simply be giant mutant ankhegs for me.

* joking

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
If so, I beg on bended knee for y'all to remember: just because it's an arthropod doesn't mean it needs to have a queen. Only ants, wasps, bees, termites, a couple of types of shrimps, and two types of mole rats have a eusocial structure.

Sorry, but this has always been a major pet peeve of mine, and I wept bitter tears* when I saw that the ankheg has been turned into such a creature instead of remaining as a gloriously non-social monstrous chilopods. It's as bad as when 3e (or maybe Pathfinder, can't remember) had eusocial spiders. "Queen" ankhegs shall simply be giant mutant ankhegs for me.

* joking
Fair? Though... the Level Up Ankhegs look like ant-people monsters with hands, rather than the WotC style Ant-Lion. (Though I tend to prefer the old 2e Mantoid creature, myself!)

Could just knock out references to Ankheg Tunnels on the DC 20 Legends and Lore and just write out the "Queen Ankheg" as being a Broodmother who defends her young in the months before they hatch like a Wood Roach or some other insects in an unsocial manner.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Fair? Though... the Level Up Ankhegs look like ant-people monsters with hands, rather than the WotC style Ant-Lion. (Though I tend to prefer the old 2e Mantoid creature, myself!)

Could just knock out references to Ankheg Tunnels on the DC 20 Legends and Lore and just write out the "Queen Ankheg" as being a Broodmother who defends her young in the months before they hatch like a Wood Roach or some other insects in an unsocial manner.
Oh yeah. I mean, I'm going to pick and choose what I like anyway when it comes to lore and stuff. This is just one of those things that has made me want to smack so many game designers over the decades. I don't know why this bugs me so much when other things don't.

Remove ads