Level Up (A5E) LevelUp the D&D Movie [Spoilers]

Selganor

Adventurer
If you want to go full "Doric" mode... other things needed would be:
  • Change the form of your wild shape as a bonus action without needing to activate a new wild shape
  • Spend spell slots to Wild Shape into forms not usually attainable by Wild Shape

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If you want to go full "Doric" mode... other things needed would be:
  • Change the form of your wild shape as a bonus action without needing to activate a new wild shape
  • Spend spell slots to Wild Shape into forms not usually attainable by Wild Shape
That's why I would suggest dropping spellcasting and focusing the mechanics entirely on an enhanced, scaling wildshape feature.

I think in my ideal D&D we would have something like:

Warrior Classes: use combat based mechanics (i.e superiority dice for maneuvers)
Expert Classes: use skill based mechanics (i.e. superiority dice for tricks/talents)
Magic User Classes: cast spells
Priest Classes: use channel divinity/ nature to do magical things, but not spells
I had a similar thought quite a while ago: a system where there's some sources of power (martial, arcane, divine, focus, primal, etc), and a way to convert from one to the other with imperfect efficiency.
Each character would have different pools of the various resources, depending on the classes they have taken,
and the various powers would require different combinations of resources.
For example: a spell may require focus+arcane/primal/divine, a combat maneuver may require martial+focus, rage would be martial+primal, etc.
This would result in a very flexible and general system

Remove ads