• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LFR News or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Play a Drow, Genasi, or Swordmage.

Rechan

Adventurer
So in a game that is CHOCK FULL of stereotypes. As a matter of fact a game that was created almost completely out of stereotypes. If the publisher puts a description that is stereotypical for an "stereotypically EVIL" race so that players can play as "not evil" characters that is going to promote spotlight hogging.

I see.
So, you believe that a large segment of gamers do not have a negative perception towards certain stereotypes and characters, which they associate with negative behaviors at their gaming table from certain players?

I see.

Look, D'Karr. I'm trying to explain to you in an objective form (for the most part) What this is, and what I read from you is a fairly sarcastic and negative attitude. You asked why this reaction and what it is. Do you want this stuff explained, or not? I am not advocating the opinion, but I'm not going to continue to help you understand if I continue to see the attitude I am preceiving coming from you.

I do not appreciate the tone when I'm trying to be polite and explain.

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
No it's not. By that logic any character with more than a modicum of backstory could be called an attention hog. Just because there's something special about the character doesn't mean there's not also special things about the other characters in the party.
This.

Give me your backstories and I'll cheerfully work them into the game--be you Elric or 'guy we met at the tavern'. I trust the group as a whole to handle any "spotlight" issues.

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
The first two imply "LOOK AT ME AIN'T I IMPORTANT AND SPECIAL", at least to me.

And how exactly is this spotlight hogging? Just cause you think that X is saying, "Look at me I'm important," does not necessarily make it so.

I've seen a heck of a lot of stupid ideas on these boards, but if they work for that group, why should I care if what they do is stupid or not.

These discussions always remind me of the hierarchical chart of gamers. I mean if we can't look down our nose on someone, what kind of fun would we have when we game?

D'karr

Adventurer
I do not appreciate the tone when I'm trying to be polite and explain.

I apologize for my perceived tone. I'm not trying to be condescending.

However my point is that most of those arguments that boil down to "bad, wrong fun" are just rooted in the same type of stereotypical behavior. Most of them are just a way to put down someone because they do not game like us.

Rechan

Adventurer
I apologize for my perceived tone. I'm not trying to be condescending.

It's okay. :)

On this post, where I mentioned the many things that might be meant by "Drizzt type", you said this:

I fail to see how any of those are bad, wrong fun. I would hope that players in my game would come up with interesting reasons for why their X race character is adventuring and what makes him special.

Being something rare, atoning for sins of an evil race, whatever, they are not bad ideas in and of themselves. They are fantasy tropes.

However, it is the perception by many gamers that those character aspects correlate highly with a type of player who is obnoxious about playing that character. In my interpretation, it is not "I put down that person because they do not play like me", but "That person/type of play really gets on my nerves."

There was a thread recently entitled "Why do people hate elfkin". Thre responses were given: Excessive subraces of elves, an attitude in various roleplaying books that gave the impression "Elves are better at everything" (i.e. the 2e Complete Book of Elves), and finally, that gamers who play elves exclusively have an "arrogant, superior attitude" about elves, or at least, play their elves with an arrogant, superior attitude.

To an extent, yes, absolutely, it is stereotyping. But, every stereotype has an origin. Often that is with personal experience. If someone plays a certain character type (a certain race, what have you), and they do it obnoxiously, I am going to associate them and their behavior with whatever character type.

I myself love kobolds. I have asked every DM I have ever played for "Can I play a kobold?" I even want to play a kobold paladin, who seeks to redeem his race. Could I be accused of being a Drizzt type? Sure, on the surface. At the same time? I hate dwarves. I've been in gaming groups where people played the dwarves really obnoxiously, and so I associate anyone who is enthusiastic about dwarves with the player I sat beside who ran a 6 Charisma belligerent, interrupting, offensive and all together infuriating character.

To go back to an earlie rpoint, there are many people I believe who have the attitude of "are just a way to put down someone because they do not game like us". You'll come across many D&D players that make fun of Exalted Players, V:tM players/LARPers, and vice versa. There is that aspect, correct, but I do not believe that the entirety of it is "That type of play just sucks and you suck for liking it".

D'karr

Adventurer
To go back to an earlie rpoint, there are many people I believe who have the attitude of "are just a way to put down someone because they do not game like us". You'll come across many D&D players that make fun of Exalted Players, V:tM players/LARPers, and vice versa. There is that aspect, correct, but I do not believe that the entirety of it is "That type of play just sucks and you suck for liking it".

I can see that a player or DM might want to avoid situations that in the past have been irksome. And I agree to a certain point, but a lot of times that is throwing away the baby with the bath water. Generalizations usually tend to produce those results. If I've found an annoying player I tend to avoid that player, not the character concept itself.

However, what I've mostly found is comments like "anyone that plays X sucks" or "if I see some players playing Y, I'm going to laugh hysterically" and other comments to that effect. Those, IMO are just ways to put others down.

Well that is my 2 cents on the subject. I've tried to answer twice and the boards keep eating my response so I'm going to take a long break until these connection problems either diminish or go away.

Thanks for the conversation Rechan.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads