• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

List of Forbidden Names?

Sir Edgar

First Post
Grazzt said:

But- what you cannot do is make your Demogorgon a two-headed baboon demon with tentacles. Same for Tiamat, Bahamut, Orcus, etc. While the names are all derived from mythology or legend, the configurations are not. And without permission from WotC, you can't use them.

So, I'm assuming Necromancer Games got permission to use the image of Orcus for its company logo?

Anyhow, you can still refer to these characters in your products without permission, right?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Sir Edgar said:

So, I'm assuming Necromancer Games got permission to use the image of Orcus for its company logo?

Clark can answer all the details and whatnot about this, but I believe the answer is yeppers. Never really asked Clark about it though. :D

Anyhow, you can still refer to these characters in your products without permission, right?

So long as your reference is to a name from mythology and not something that belongs to WotC and so long as your configuration/interpretation of the creature (or whatever) isn't like WotC's I would say you are ok. Anything else is pretty much off limits without special permission or some sort of license from WotC.

Henry

Autoexreginated
One other FR Reference - Ilmater - was borrowed from the Finnish pantheon in name only. The physical depiction of Ilmater is unabashedly lifted whole cloth from the God known as "Issek of the Jug" from Fritz Leiber's Newhon stories (Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, about which Gary Gygax could tell you volumes.) Technically, if the Leiber estate were willing, they could make a DARNED good case of Cease and Desist against the Figure of Ilmater in the Forgotten Realms - in theory.

Sir Edgar

First Post
Grazzt said:

So long as your reference is to a name from mythology and not something that belongs to WotC and so long as your configuration/interpretation of the creature (or whatever) isn't like WotC's I would say you are ok. Anything else is pretty much off limits without special permission or some sort of license from WotC.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I saw reference to Heironeous, Pelor, Yondalla, and other D&D deities in the adventure module "The Crucible of Freya". So, does that mean you can mention their names but not describe them? Aren't they just treated like monsters in "MM"?

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Sir Edgar said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I saw reference to Heironeous, Pelor, Yondalla, and other D&D deities in the adventure module "The Crucible of Freya". So, does that mean you can mention their names but not describe them? Aren't they just treated like monsters in "MM"?

No mention that I know of. If so, then maybe Clark secured permission (or licensed them) from WotC to do so. No idea. Havent ever noticed if they were in there or not or asked him about it. :)

Edit: St. Cuthbert's name is mentioned I noticed. However, the name comes from mythology/history. Since he isnt detailed or configured as his D&D counterpart, all is well with it. WotC can't claim IP on a name from mythology.

Last edited:

Sir Edgar said:

The only references I can find in the module to Deities are Freya and Orcus.

Duncan

Bagpuss

Legend
Tell you what why don't you just list all the names your thinking of using and then we'll place odds on you getting slapped with a lawsuit based on each name. (Of course Greek board members will have to avoid this topic from then on as it would count as a game).

Remove ads