• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) List of O5E spells that have been changed in some way?

Stalker0

Legend
If anyone is planning to make such a list, I would go with 3 buckets:

1) Same Spell: Completely unchanged save for maybe text formatting

2) Effectively Same Spell: Cases where language has been replaced by "LUisms" but at the end of the day the spell is still the same thing.

3) Different Spell: The spell has been changed in a notable way.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I really don't think that's what he was saying, but ok. And I was saying IF they already had a list, it would be useful for 90% of people considering their new system.

I wasn't gonna press the point, but it seems like a HUGE marketing oversight for them to not provide an easy to digest format for reviewing the changes between a5e and o5e, given that such knowledge is what a HUGE portion of their new audience is actually looking for.

Yes the books need complete rules to be an independent system and easy to use once you've decided to move. Trying to make that decision is made a LOT harder by having to trawl through identical wording page after page and compare MANUALLY to see what has changed.

It's a MASSIVE barrier to further conversion, which is a major marketing no-no.

But I digress!

Anyone who wants to help me trawl, let me know, I've started going a-z, and ignoring rare spell variants for the time being, just to keep it to direct comparisons :)

I'll make a post soon, though its likely I've missed some as I'm doing this tired at the end of the day, so more eyes are always welcome! 😁
That was what I was tring to say. It was something moris mentioned on another thread or maybe this discord when asked.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
If anyone is planning to make such a list, I would go with 3 buckets:

1) Same Spell: Completely unchanged save for maybe text formatting

2) Effectively Same Spell: Cases where language has been replaced by "LUisms" but at the end of the day the spell is still the same thing.

3) Different Spell: The spell has been changed in a notable way.
That first bucket will be empty. The wording of all of them has been changed, even if they're mechanically-identical. You may also want to create a bucket of "brand-new spell." There's a pretty good number of those as well; you won't find crushing haymaker, flex, or writhing transformation in a WotC book. ;)

I'd suggest

1. (mechanically) same
2. minor changes
3. major changes
4. brand new

Although I guess that will lead to debate about whether a change is minor or major...

EDIT: added brand new bc I was a dolt the first time and forgot

Last edited:

On a separate note, I was a little surprised to see one spell hasn't changed - hypnotic pattern. I've not played with it (as PC or DM) a lot but it often comes up as the most OP 3rd level spell, does it not?

jadxq

Explorer
I've been house-ruling O5e Hypnotic Pattern as allowing a save w/disadvantage at the end of each target's turn. I think going forward, I will adjust the A5e version (I like the reduced cube size) either to do the same or maybe just allow a regular save at the end of the creature's turn (will do the same with Polymorph--I hate low/mid-level encounter ending spells). Hypnotic Pattern should be on par with upcast Hold Person but as an AOE, IMO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads