• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

List OSR products for 1e AD&D

S'mon

Legend
I'm loving Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh by Gygax himself, still available and only $24 on amazon.com - Amazon.com: Used and New: Castle Zagyg Volume One: Yggsburgh

It's a wonderful full sandbox campaign, brimming with countless adventures, plot hooks, encounter generators & encounter tables, all kinds of stuff. If it wasn't for the link to and non-appearance of the actual Castle Zagyg I think it'd be regarded as a real classic.

It has C&C stats, which convert to AD&D/OSRIC/LL et al simply by flipping the AC from ascending to descending. It does have some editing issues and requires active reading - eg you need to decide for yourself if listed gp values make sense for your campaign, I typically divide them by 10. But overall the structure is actually very good IMO.

nedjer

Adventurer
Can't comment on versions and the original rules, but I'm working on a general Old School resource for OSRIC, full S&W, Corruption, full Labyrinth Lord, and the soon to appear cut-down Corruption - Renegade. There's the beginnings of a list of links HERE.

Any further suggestions of OSR blogs, forums, etc . . . which are fairly content heavy would be much appreciated.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yeah, but which ones are actually good? That's the catch - I mean, I've got pretty much every DCC (not OSR, but Old School inspired) there is up to whenever they switched to 4e and I would say maybe 1/4 are good, and only a few are really excellent.

I've been looking at the OSR stuff since the announcement, and the only things that really catch my eye are the stuff for Lamentations of the Flame Princess - not completely OSR, but close apparently.

So if you only had to recommend 2-4 modules, which ones?

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, but which ones are actually good? That's the catch - I mean, I've got pretty much every DCC (not OSR, but Old School inspired) there is up to whenever they switched to 4e and I would say maybe 1/4 are good, and only a few are really excellent.

I've been looking at the OSR stuff since the announcement, and the only things that really catch my eye are the stuff for Lamentations of the Flame Princess - not completely OSR, but close apparently.

Of the few I have actually used, my group and I had a LOT of fun with this one:

The Ruined Hamlet/ Terror in the Gloaming by Barrataria Games in Games

Of the ones I have only read, most of the ones by Expeditious Retreat Press are good to real good. I got the compilations that have 10 modules per, so I'd have to read through them again to remember which are the better ones. Then again, I didn't think any were crap. In fact, I didn't find a one that I said I would never use it to myself.

nedjer

Adventurer

Can you suggest examples of what you would like. I've a raft of adventures under preparation which all run on Osiric, full S&W, Advanced Lab Lord, Corruption and . . . to the extent that everything includes ascending and descending.

Be interested to know what's of most interest scenarios and campaigns wise. One-off adventures, sketched-out settings, full-blown campaigns, very Old School play as well as rules, 'monsters eat too' play with Old School rules?

grodog

Hero

Remove ads