D&D 5E List the Third-Party 5th Edition Campaign Settings

Warren Ellis

Explorer
Is that not what the campaign setting book is?
From what I've read, It's more of a gazzetteer. I was meaning something like a player's guide with equipment & currency, and so on.

It has some stuff on races, deities, timekeeping, and some stuff on factions and new classes and backgrounds, but I was also thinking of stuff like currency or weapons and armor.

Or is the Tal'dorei setting similar enough to FR or something that you pretty much just use already existing PHBs and such for it?

I've never listened to the original podcasts so I don't know much about it admittedly.

Last edited:

Rellott

Explorer
I don’t think there’s a significant enough difference to warrant a whole new book about... equipment and money. Or whatever else you think they need besides the new classes already presented or referenced from DMs Guild. The setting is fairly generic fantasy, so races are pretty standard to the PHB - nothing new there. I got the feeling the book was a stand-alone work.

I don’t think there’s a significant enough difference to warrant a whole new book about... equipment and money. Or whatever else you think they need besides the new classes already presented or referenced from DMs Guild. The setting is fairly generic fantasy, so races are pretty standard to the PHB - nothing new there. I got the feeling the book was a stand-alone work.

I am not sure that anything that uses the 5E rules, even just the SRD, can do a stand-alone book that does not also require players to own either the PHB/DMG or the free basic rules. Pretty sure that putting the material from those into their own book would be violating the OGL for 5E.

Rellott

Explorer
I am not sure that anything that uses the 5E rules, even just the SRD, can do a stand-alone book that does not also require players to own either the PHB/DMG or the free basic rules. Pretty sure that putting the material from those into their own book would be violating the OGL for 5E.

I’m not sure if you’re supporting me or presenting an issue with what I’m saying. You seem to be focusing on my use of “stand alone book.” What I meant was that it didn’t appear to be a part of a series of books about Tal’Dorei setting as Warren Ellis seemed to think were in the works - it appeared to be the only book needed/intended for that setting. It of course needs the PHB, as I all but explicitly stated when I said the races are pretty standard to the PHB.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Although we're not continuing the cyberpunk line for Hypercorps 2099's 5E book (the whole Hyper Score bit works best for Pathfinder--that's the reason for 2099 Wasteland being exclusively 5E), there is a complete setting in there and some adventures for it.

vegaserik01

First Post
Ah alright. I guess I assumed there were going to be more Tal'dorei books.

There could be, they just started their 2nd campaign set on a different part of the world. But since it's Matt Mercer's homebrewed world I wouldn't expect too much. He does have a couple of classes on DMs Guild that are nice additions but they aren't strictly Tal Dorei.

They used the D&D names for gods in their actual campaign, but changed them in the book - The Raven Queen became The Matron of Ravens for example. I'm sure it has to do with what's open and what's closed.

I can't recommend their show enough. The first episode of the second campaign had over 120,000 viewers. Twitch reported 99,000 - Youtube 20,000 - Project Alpha didn't release numbers but was thought to be in the realm of a couple thousand. They are on Twitch's Geek and Sundry channel, then released the next week on youtube and mp3. You can watch it live with no subscription, but to watch it later on demand you need a sub. But, you get a free Twitch sub if you're an Amazon Prime member.

Remove ads