D&D (2024) Little changes for 5.5

HammerMan

Legend
Term is defined, I literally gave you the page in the PHB and the quote.

nope still didn't becuse the base AC barkskin says can't drop below 16 is AFTER armor and Dex but is it after sheild? what about cover?
You are posting in a public forum about rules changes, it's generally considered courteous to "understand any of it" before posting so you can present an informed opinion. If you would like to proclaim that you don't know what you are talking about because you aren't paid to do it, that's your perogative. It does give others an understanding of what weight to put on your suggested rules changes. Thanks for the heads up, I won't bother to discuss rules changes with you.
You can ignore me all you want... but please don't quote bits and peices when I went on to show I did understand and how I would fix what you worried abotu

Undrave

Legend
Monk is good at speed. The end
And then what? Speed is not that valuable. People don't want to a martial artists who runs away all the time, they don't want to be the one who "locks down the casters" (which I think is an emergent property of the Monk, not an intended design).

Let me paraphrase myself to explain what people want out of the Monk: They want to Rock the Dragon in the Dragon Balls with their bare fists.

Stalker0

Legend
And then what? Speed is not that valuable.
While I respect some of the issues with the monk, this is not one of them. The answer is.... speed is as valuable as the game makes it.

If the key lever to turn off a deadly trap is 60 feet away....the monk shines. If the person your party is trying to save is on the other edge of the combat, the monk can shine.

Class balance is partly based around hooks for the DM, obvious ways that the DM can make a class feel cool and special. Just as a DM can neuter fireball by only having single monster fights, they can neuter a monk's speed.....or they can make it essential by the design of encounters.

HammerMan

Legend
speed is good as little better then a ribbon. it can help from time to time but isn't what I would want to build a class around...

Heck even flash gets other tricks now adays (throw lighting, phase through walls, run on water/up building, mach 10 punch, time travel, dimensional travel)

Undrave

Legend
While I respect some of the issues with the monk, this is not one of them. The answer is.... speed is as valuable as the game makes it.

If the key lever to turn off a deadly trap is 60 feet away....the monk shines. If the person your party is trying to save is on the other edge of the combat, the monk can shine.

Class balance is partly based around hooks for the DM, obvious ways that the DM can make a class feel cool and special. Just as a DM can neuter fireball by only having single monster fights, they can neuter a monk's speed.....or they can make it essential by the design of encounters.
I'm not saying the Monk shouldn't have that speed, but all of those are just niche things the DM specifically craft to let the Monk shine. It's got nothing to do with the Monk player making active decisions. The Monk being fast is fine, but I don't think it's worth as much as the designers seem to think. The Barbarian also gets a speed buff and nobody points to it as being important to the class... because it's not. It's a bonus. A nice thing to have. You don't pick the Barbarian class to run faster and so you shouldn't think people pick the Monk to run faster either.

Undrave

Legend
speed is good as little better then a ribbon. it can help from time to time but isn't what I would want to build a class around...

Heck even flash gets other tricks now adays (throw lighting, phase through walls, run on water/up building, mach 10 punch, time travel, dimensional travel)
Exactly. If we want to make it seem like the Monk is FAST, they should be fast at everything. The bonus action bare handed attack and flurry of blows should just have extra hits and maybe they should gain some bonus to certain skills as well and just no longer need to take any action to disengage. That sort of things.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I would like "5.5" to be exactly as they described it: fully compatible. So anything new is additive, nothing changed.

EDIT: This is what 4e Essentials did, after lessons learned with 3.5. It didn't invalidate or require changes to any existing character nor to any existing adventure.
A revision to something can means some changes. But i would also like something closer to Essentials than to .5 compatibility wise

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
A revision to something can means some changes. But i would also like something closer to Essentials than to .5 compatibility wise
Thank you for your definition of "revision". However, I was talking about the definition of "fully compatible", which is how they described it.

If I can run any previous character and every previous adventure with the new stuff without change, it's fully compatible. Revision is a different term that does not hold to that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases