Locate Creature question

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
If someone casts Locate Creature to try to find you, do you think you should get a scrying check? Or do you think you would have no idea the spell is targetting you?

According to the spell:

Locate Creature

Divination
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 10 minutes/level

As locate object, except this spell locates a known or familiar creature.

The character slowly turns and senses when facing in the direction of the creature to be located, provided the creature is within range. The character also knows in which direction the creature is moving, if any.

The spell can locate a creature of a specific type (such as human or unicorn) or a specific creature known to the character. It cannot find a creature of a general type (such as humanoid or beast). To find a type of creature, the character must have seen such a creature up close (within 30 feet) at least once.

Running water blocks the spell. It cannot detect objects. It can be fooled by mislead, nondetection, and polymorph spells.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Still looking for an answer on this... I realize Locate Creature isn't a scry, but perhaps it makes sense to use it in this case?

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Kershek said:
I realize Locate Creature isn't a scry, but perhaps it makes sense to use it in this case?

Not at all. The only thing this spell does is act like a compass, pointing you in the correct direction. No save, no SR. It's not scry at all. Scry checks are really only appropriate for Scrying...but...well...that's probably why they're named that. :)

Henrix

Explorer
I agree with kreynolds that the target wouldn't have any chance of detcting the Locate Creature. There's nothing at the target's end of the spell that could reveal it.

Remove ads