D&D 5E Locate Object binding time

Harzel

Adventurer
Reading the recent Locate Object Abuse thread brought to mind a different question about Locate Object. Suppose the caster is using the option to look for an object of a certain kind - say the bottle of red wine mentioned in the previous thread. (And if you don't like that, then substitute any generic object description that you would deem valid.) The spell locates the "nearest object" of the kind specified, but the spell lasts for 10 minutes, which is plenty of time for the definition of the "nearest object" to change if the caster moves. So, does the spell bind to the "nearest object" at the time it is cast and maintain that binding for the duration, or can it snap to a different "nearest object" if the caster moves while the spell is active?

My initial inclination is to say it rebinds / snaps as the caster moves, but I'm interested to know what others think.

5ekyu

Hero
It keeps referring to an object and if the object moves and a lot of its usefulness would go away if it contantly rechecked. I have always had its duration be how long you can track the object found not how long to rescan for different items.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
It reads to me that it locates the target object at the time you cast the spell, and then for the duration you sense the location of that targeted object.

So the target wouldn't switch if a similar object moved closer, nor if the original object moved out of range or behind shielding.

Remove ads