• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lock Picking Difficulties

Denaes

First Post
So far in this game we've been playing in for 3 sessions, we had just hit level 2.

At level 1 our Rogue with 4 ranks of Open Lock... something like +6 to +8, taking 20 and he couldn't open up a lock on an orphanage.

At level 2 the rogue goes to pick the lock on a chest and it's basically explained that he rolled high enough that he knew the lock was out of his skill range.

The GM explained that a shoddy lock was a DC 20 and they went up from there.

We're not particularily rich, we've each gotten about 200gp each throughout the 3 sessions total: not 200 each session, 200 is our total haul so far.

What is a low level PC to do? Do we just mark the chests off on our map and come back in 5 levels? If low level locks are barely in range for lower level PCs, then what great amount of help is adding 1 more to the skill each level? It seems like you need a magic item or specialized tools to get a boost or something.

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Skill Focus adds a +3 to checks with the relevant skill. If you don't care about noise you could just bash the lock. Also consider asking your DM if automatic lockpicks are available, they're a 3.0 item from Song and Silence and at the mid levels when you can afford them can pop about any lock with the best models. Knock is a 2nd level spell that automatically opens non-magical locks. Also if the container is small enough you might consider taking it with you.

I had a DM one time say we couldn't open a solid adamantine chest that was arcane-locked and warded so we slid a bag of holding over it and carried it back to town to work on it at our leisure.

nittanytbone

First Post
"Lock
The DC to open a lock with the Open Lock skill depends on the lock’s quality: simple (DC 20), average (DC 25), good (DC 30), or superior (DC 40). "

So it sounds as if the DCs are reasonable for these locks. Good locks would be DC 30. Although I'm not sure if a typical orphanage would have above-average locks... Then again, if adventurers are investigating an orphanage, it might not be an ordinary institution!

For a quick +2 boost to lock checks get masterwork thieve's tools. Once you have the cash, consider enhancing them with a +1 magical skill bonus (if your DM will allow it) for roughly 180 GP (+1 skill bonus squared x 100 GP x 2 for non-body slot affinity magic item x 0.9 requires a specific skill to use)

Other members of the party could make helping rolls. If there is a high dex party member they could buy half a rank of open lock as a cross class skill; helping rolls are only DC 10 checks but they give the primary actor +2 to their check.

Now, there is more than one way to beat a lock. If you're willing to take some time and make some noise, you can always cut away the lock with a hacksaw, break down the door, take the chest apart at the hinges, bust the chest in, etc. "When attempting to break an object, you have two choices: smash it with a weapon or break it with sheer strength." Use tools like crowbars, hacksaws, hammers, and so on, and steer towards the rules for breaking objects (hardness and HP) and bursting containers. For example, to break down a good door is only a DC 18 str check.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#breakingAndEntering

Lord Wyrm

First Post
Those good doors go down real fast with a raging Barbarian kicking them in. Hinges, I'll have to remember that one. Use acid on the lock, more than one way to skin a cat and such. Charm Person works if you can see someone with a key, and if they make the save just shoot them in the neck with a poisoned bolt. The worst I've seen was a PC Rogue burning a hospital to the ground to get to the basement afterwards.

Bagpuss

Legend
I think the initial complaint was less about how to get past a lock that the rogue can't open but the fact that the low level rogue sees Open Lock as a pointless skill.

since you know "simple (DC 20), average (DC 25), good (DC 30), or superior (DC 40)"

At level 1 our Rogue with 4 ranks of Open Lock... lets say he has 18 Dex for +4 so total for open lock is +8, on a take 20 they can open average locks, but not good.

2nd level no point spending a skill point as it would only make it 29.

3rd level put 2 skill ranks in and you can now open good locks.

Between 3rd and 13th you need to put in 10 ranks, but there isn't much point putting them in, in less than at least 5 rank blocks since that tends to be what DC's go up in. Better to spread some of those ranks between Move Silently and other opposed skills then at level 13 dump 8 ranks in, or many be do some a little earlier so you can keep certain skills maxed out.

Or you could just give up on superior locks and leave them to raging barbarians.

You want to improve quicker get Nimble Fingers Feat +2 bonus Disable Device and Open Locks, and Skill Focus (Open Locks) +3 bonus. But really you probably have better things to spend your limited feat options on.

Anax

First Post
Mmm. Don’t forget that between 3rd and 13th levels, you’re also going to be picking up three stat boosts, three feats, and a metric crapload of magic items. Items of +5 to a skill are pretty reasonable for any skill (though I don’t immediately recall any standard items for Open Lock.) Perhaps lenses of mechanical insight which allow you to see the inner workings of a lock and provide a +5 competence bonus, for 2,500gp. Or magical thieves' tools that provide the same bonus for 4,500gp. Now you’re looking at 11 ranks + Dex +4 + magic item +5 allowing you to open a superior lock by taking 20. At level 8. And that’s assuming your Dex didn’t increase.

And, of course, there are other reasons to boost your skill. Sure, at level 3 you can open a good lock by taking 20... But wouldn’t it be nice to not have to stand around in one place for two minutes to open that lock? Especially, say, if there are guards making rounds. Or the chamber you’re in is filling with water, or...

Me, I’d be scrambling to get those magical tools together so I have a +20 Open Lock skill modifier at level eight. Not to open the superior locks by taking 20, but to open the good locks by taking 10.

Denaes

First Post
The GM seemed really put off by us wanting to smash the lock on the treasure chest. His manurisms really got stiff and his voice raised in pitch and he made side comments about how bad that was to do if there was treasure inside... either he doesn't think that should be a valid option or he doesn't know the rules about it and got nervous.

Also, he seemed to imply that breaking into the chest would cause everything inside of it to scatter around the room and/or break... like we're taking a warhammer and just cracking the chest in two. Personally I'd rather break the lock and/or knock the top off without damaging the main body of the chest.

I'm a 2nd level Artificer and I can make Potions & Scrolls so far. I think I can create a wonderous item next level.

I'm feeling the same pain in the Use Magic Devices skill area for making items, but thats mostly bad luck. With my +7, I can succeed at quite a few checks... just I keep rolling poorly. A d20 and 3 Action Dice and I couldn't hit a DC 26 check. I got close, but not close enough.

I figure I could make some things for the rogue, but we really need money to get things made...

I'm going to look into making scrolls/potions for Skill Use and bring a copy of the "breaking & entering" page for the next session so we can appraise our situation.

Then again, thinking things through I can cast Knock in 2 more levels and make scrolls of Knock now and probobly a Wand of Knock next level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads