D&D 2E Looking back at the Monstrous Compendia: the MC appendices, Monstrous Manual, and more!

Voadam

Legend
I did not get this when it came out as I already had the 1e monster book trilogy which was still useable in 2e, but a friend of mine did get these and I liked the expanded entries and the Jim Holloway art.

The differences between 1e and 2e monsters mechanically were mostly the xp, and power upgrades for dragons and giants. 2e also added in morale similar to B/X and (thankfully) cut out psionics as entry lines in every monster stat block.

I eventually did get almost the entire 2e MC line in PDF (still waiting on some planescape ones and annuals).

Voadam

Legend
Of note in MCI was the disappointing screwup with the double first page Vampire entry with no second page for the habitat or ecology sections, or the eastern vampire entry besides being noted on the first page in the xp portion of the vampire stat block.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Of note in MCI was the disappointing screwup with the double first page Vampire entry with no second page for the habitat or ecology sections, or the eastern vampire entry besides being noted on the first page in the xp portion of the vampire stat block.
I've seen reference to that, but the vampire entry in my MC1 doesn't have that; the second page is, well, the second page, with the sections you noted being right where they should. I'm not sure if that's because it's a later printing or because the used copy that I bought had the corrected page swapped in.

Orius

Legend
Ah, the Monstrous Compendiums.

Alzrius has been playing about as long as I have. When I got into the game, it was also initially through the Black Box, and I moved on to 2e because it soon was the only thing available. So I'm more familiar with the MM and softback MCs than the binder experiment. I've looked over all the MCs recently, and honestly, they aren't all that impressive. The MM combined with the MC Annuals, especially Annual 2, is a much stronger monster collection IMO. It's weak on extraplanar entries, but the first Planescape MC mostly covers the gaps (MC8 originally did that but the XP Values in there are very badly inflated). Of course, of the 3 MCs missing on DriveThru, 2 are Annual 2 and Planescape 1.

I don't know if we need to get to much into the binder problems here, but there were the two big flaws. First the pages were too flimsy, they had to be torn out of the package, which sometimes ripped the binder holes and they weren't particularly durable. Second was the alphabetization scheme which fell apart after MC3. Both of these problems are less an issue today with the pdfs, where the entries can be printed out as needed.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with Alzrius' assessment here of MC1. There's too many questionable entries, too many full page animal entries, and too many missing monsters, not even getting into how demons and devils were yanked out. I think though that 1e MM entries were prioritized here. From my own examinations of 1e and 2e monsters, MCs 1-3 generally seem to be about updating material from 1e's MM and MMII. The FF has a lower priority and seems to have more focus with MC5, and later a good portion of it was updated in MC14.That's probably why MC1 is missing stuff like the drow (originally GDQ1-7, then Fiend Folio) and the aboleth (originally I1 then (MMII). The aboleth in particular maybe wasn't really a big thing back then anyway, I think they didn't hit the big time until Night Below. Anyway, it's not surprising that many 1e players were pissed with 2e. To me it's no big deal because I have the MM, the four Annuals, the three Planescape MCs, and the Mystara MC in print which make for a pretty solid monster collection. But back in 1989, this must have been a letdown.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
Despite being a huge Dragonlance fan, I don't know if I have ever seen MC4. Between the stat blocks in the modules, 1e Dragonlance Adventures, and the Tales of the Lance boxed set I mostly had what I would have needed. Now you make me want to take a look at it to see what's even in it..

Not much important honestly. Just about anything important from MC4 is covered in Tales of the Lance. The main use of MC4 is if you want full page entries for the draconians.

dead

Explorer
MC1 and MC2 came out at the same time. So I always thought of it as a bit of a cash grab as the two felt like one book split in half. In fact, they were designed to be merged as one and I think there is a page at the start of MC2 that encouraged you to do so.

The blurb on the back of the Monstrous Manual says it includes "all the creatures from the Monstrous Compendium Volumes 1 & 2" so sounds like a bit of false advertising going on...

Also, in various TSR boxed sets you'd occasionally get hole-punched loose leaf Monsterous Compendium sheets you could add to your folder. I think some Al-Qadim sets and maybe Forgotten Realms did this but my collection is in storage and I can't confirm.

delericho

Legend
Not much important honestly. Just about anything important from MC4 is covered in Tales of the Lance. The main use of MC4 is if you want full page entries for the draconians.
Indeed. Of course, MC4 predates TotL by several years, so it's not entirely surprising.

Voadam

Legend
I've seen reference to that, but the vampire entry in my MC1 doesn't have that; the second page is, well, the second page, with the sections you noted being right where they should. I'm not sure if that's because it's a later printing or because the used copy that I bought had the corrected page swapped in.
Its even like this in the PDF I have.

1686054254531.png

1686054285479.png

An October issue of Dragon (150) had the full two-page spread though:
1686054698478.png

1686054625115.png

the Jester

Legend
The ant swarm, from MC Vol. 2, also appears to be missing from the Monstrous Manual. (Only figured this out after an obsessive comparison of what constituted a "core" D&D monster a few years ago - a nice distraction from Covid.)
I thought the ant swarm was in the MM under Insect or something, but could be wrong.

Remove ads