Looking for a great sci-fi RPG

cattoy

First Post
I'm a big fan of Star Hero, but only if you already know the Hero System backwards and forwards. Too much of a learning curve otherwise.

Trust me on that.

timtao

Explorer
Thanks for the info folks! Some background info:

I too am a fan of the old school Traveller. I still have my box set from 1980+something. I loved it then, but looking back I see nostalgia isn't what it used to be. I bought the Mongoose Traveller core rule book and the first adventure, "Beltstrike!" I read them both, cover to cover. In my opinion, and for the game I want to run, both are lacking in the same areas: combat seems difficult to run, skills don't seem to matter as much in an adventure, and the character creation is a turn off. Further, the adventures sound good in theory, but at the game table are a big yawn.

I bought a used copy of Spaceship Zero at my FLGS. As was mentioned, it is tailored to a specific niche - so much so that I couldn't run my campaign on it. However, I *love* their "Zero Dice": best version of action points I've seen so far! I will be house-ruling something like it into my home brew.

I am very curious about WotC's Star Wars, especially the edition that came out shortly after 3.0 D20. However, that book is tough to find. I've read good things about the Saga edition on this fine forum (and others). Trouble there is: so many books, which ones do I need? Further, with the system out of print, how do I get them? I did find a Second Edition for $10 at the same FLGS. I'm working my way through that right now.

What I'm hoping for is... the character creation (and advancement) of 3.0/3.5E, the economics and gritty realism of Traveller, the diversity of Star Wars (without the Force, Jedi or cutesy characters) and something where skills really really matter - to the extent that you can create compelling encounters without combat.

So far, no mention of t20 or Scifi20. I've never tried either, and am curious as to what others think of them. Keep the suggestions coming, and I will check out some of the others I haven't mentioned above.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Starblazer Adventures. Plenty of diversity in character generation, skills are important, and there is scope for trade wars between companies. It won't give you 'gritty realism', though, being rather abstract.

T20 might work rules wise, but it doesn't have the wide diversity you're looking for - the system never really got a huge amount of supplementary material, and there aren't many aliens in the main rulebook.

Gundark

Explorer
Starblazer Adventures. Plenty of diversity in character generation, skills are important, and there is scope for trade wars between companies. It won't give you 'gritty realism', though, being rather abstract.

T20 might work rules wise, but it doesn't have the wide diversity you're looking for - the system never really got a huge amount of supplementary material, and there aren't many aliens in the main rulebook.

Wow, for a second i thought i would be the first to mention starblazer, on rpg.net it would have been mentioned 30 times by now.

Remove ads