Looking for a low-level "PCs are hired by NPC" type adventures

NewJeffCT

First Post
The Whispering Woodwind

The lives of ordinary people seldom touch our own in significant ways until we choose to become involved. It seems that Contel, the Bard, has quit his day job, skipping out on a sizable debt. When an astute innkeeper of questionable practices enlists the help of heroes to cover his losses, it is only the beginning. The trail leads through a series of encounters; some germane, others less relevant but revealing. It is the sound of music that ultimately settles the score.

I ran this again last year for a new group to kick off a campaign and had the musical instrument actually be a cursed item that the group felt needed destroying. They passed it along to a higher level NPC of questionable morals and haven't realized what has become of that plan. The campaign is now higher level and it's about time they begin to hear rumors of what this NPC is doing with this item.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16596/Lowlevel-Adventure-The-Whispering-Woodwind?it=1

I will definitely check it out - thanks!

Deathstrike

First Post
"In the dead of winter" for 3e could be run like this. "Caravan to Ein Arris" for GURPS is the supreme example of this type of adventure. The PCs have to apply for a job as caravan guards by making skill rolls. Happy memories there.

NewJeffCT

First Post
"In the dead of winter" for 3e could be run like this. "Caravan to Ein Arris" for GURPS is the supreme example of this type of adventure. The PCs have to apply for a job as caravan guards by making skill rolls. Happy memories there.

Thanks - I will take a look at that one as well.

ksbsnowowl

Explorer
...could be run like this.

This little statement reminded me that several of the 3.0 Adventure Path series each had three or four proposed plot hooks; usually one of them was someone hiring the PC's to do something.
The Sunless Citadel (Levels 1 - 3)* has one hook where the matron of a small-town merchant family hires the PC's to look for her missing grand-niece and grand-nephew (who left to explore the Sunless Citadel several weeks prior).

The Forge of Fury (Levels 3 - 5)* has a baron hire the PC's to search out weapons by a great and ancient dwarven weaponsmith. The baron recently got some clues as to where the dwarven smith's hidden underground fortress was located, and will pay the PC's 500 gp over market value for every weapon they bring back with the dwarf's smith-mark.

* Note that Kobolds and Goblins have different CR's in 3.5 than they did in 3.0; if you award XP as per their 3.5 CR, the PC's will be 4th level before the end of the Sunless Citadel. I suggest just awarding XP based upon the 3.0 CR ratings, which slows down PC advancement to where it "should" be, relative to the adventures.

Last edited:

Remove ads