Looking for a magic system

Hello all,

Would any of you know of a magic system in a fantasy RPG that has the following characteristics (whether or not the system is actually good)?
- A check of some sort is necessary to cast a spell
- Taking longer to cast a spell makes casting the spell easier (bonus to spellcasting check?)
- HPs can be sacrificed to increase spellcasting check roll
- Casters can theoretically cast an infinite number of spells per day
- Not a "build-a-spell" system
- Casters (can) have a specialty

Thanks in advance for any information!

AR

Quickleaf

Legend
True20 does most of that. It's the system inspired by Green Ronin's Blue Rose setting, designed by Steve Kenson who also did Mutants & Masterminds.

The system involves selecting powers (think of them as groups of related D&D spells housed under the same mechanic) and getting a rank in those powers.

You make a power check for many powers, sometimes the target makes a save.

On of the supplements had options for long ritual casting for a bonus.

You don't build spells, the powers are pre-defined. You choose individual powers, so you could create a thematic caster, and the system has some examples of doing that.

There is no hard limit to how many times you can use your powers, but many of them are fatiguing, meaning that you can cast yourself unconscious if you're not careful.

Since True20 isn't an HP system, there is no option to burn HP for spellcasting power. However, the game *does* have Extra Effort rules that could be used to create your own house rule...basically take automatic fatigue for some increased effect or spellcasting bonus.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yikes. That's really specific. I can't think of a system that news all those requirements.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
"The Black Company Campaign Setting" for 3.5 by Green Ronin is sitting on my shelf and your want list reminded me of what I remembered about its magic system (just reading, not playing). I'm not sure what the line is between customize/tweak a spell and build-a-spell though.

An overview of the magic system by a playtester is at:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...-Company-Playtester-discusses-the-magic-rules

Some reviews that mention the magic system are at: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?119733-The-Black-Company-Campaign-Setting

It's compared to some other systems in:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?170507-Elements-of-Magic-BCCS-True-Sorcery-and-True20

Hyper-Man

First Post
Hello all,

Would any of you know of a magic system in a fantasy RPG that has the following characteristics (whether or not the system is actually good)?
- Taking longer to cast a spell makes casting the spell easier (bonus to spellcasting check?)

Thanks in advance for any information!

AR
Fantasy Hero & the HERO System could easily do this but Like True20 it doesn't use Hit Points (it instead uses uses BODY, STUN and ENDurance). HERO is a point build system and there are plenty of prebuilt spells available (HERO System Grimoire) that can be modified with all of your world's requirements. And since the system shows you how the existing spells are designed 'under the hood' there is no guessing required when changing something. The core rules give you the same access to see HOW stuff was built as the designers had.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
I think the Hellfrost campaign setting for Savage Worlds has a alternate spell casting system that ditches spell points but makes it increasingly harder to cast without some sort of sacrifice. I don't remember the specifics though.

And I think the magic user in Iron Heroes worked kind of like this too but magic is far more limited and chaotic in that system and it has other issues. Could provide inspiration though.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Cast spell contest fails if it's not higher than 10.
Combining cast spell actions (using more than one at a time) allows you to use the higher roll (like a bonus).
Simple house-rule. Normally, though, metaphysical points are sacrificed to create the spell.
You really want to enable infinite spellcasting?
The spells presented aren't build-a-spell, they're build-a-theme. Like, your Cure spell could be a laying-on of hands, or it could be words that offer motivation.
This is up to the caster and GM. You can accomplish this with spell choice, or hero point usage. Also, there are two different perks that allow you to (try to) cast spells that you don't know by heart:
Spell Implement: use a spellbook or musical instrument to cast additional spells.
Divine Intervention: make a prayer check to see if you can cast a god-approved spell. If it doesn't work at first, pray harder.

The game system, if you're interested, is named in my signature.

True20 does most of that. It's the system inspired by Green Ronin's Blue Rose setting, designed by Steve Kenson who also did Mutants & Masterminds.

Thanks for the information. I played a little of M&M, so I know a bit about the system and yes it would apply to my situation. I'll look into Blue Rose.

AR

Remove ads