Looking For a Rule: Hitting Wrong Target When Attacking Grapplers

cybertalus

First Post
I'm having one of those "did I imagine that?" moments in regards to a 3.5 rule about grappling. I clearly remember there being a rule that if you attempt to attack someone who is in a grapple, you have a 50% chance to hit the wrong target in the grapple. Problem is I can't find the rule. It's not in the main grappling explanation in the 3.5 Player's Handbook and everywhere else I've looked hasn't turned it up either.

Can anyone help me find this rule?

Diirk

First Post
Attacking with a melee weapon into a grapple you have no chance of hitting the wrong target. Attacking with a ranged weapon you do have a chance of hitting the wrong target, but it doesn't specify any %s. 50/50 is reasonable for same size grapplers or if you just prefer simplicity tho.

The appropriate information is in the combat modifiers section of the combat chapter, under the table 'Defender is ...' and entry 'grappling (but attacker is not)'

ElectricDragon

Explorer
I believe the rule you are thinking about is under Bull Rush:

Any attack of opportunity made by anyone other than the defender against you during a bull rush has a 25% chance of accidentally targeting the defender instead, and any attack of opportunity by anyone other than you against the defender likewise has a 25% chance of accidentally targeting you. (When someone makes an attack of opportunity, make the attack roll and then roll to see whether the attack went astray.)

Ciao
Dave

Humanophile

First Post
It's a tricky little hidden rule. You probably are just remembering across editions, but the rule's there regardless.

P. 151, PHB. It mentions armor class modifiers for different situations. The third little footnote specifically says pretty much what you mean.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
There is an equal chance to strike any one grappler when firing at range into a grapple. Must be what you are thinking of here. Humanophile posted the correct page number and relevant footnote.

uzagi_akimbo

First Post
Humanophile said:
It's a tricky little hidden rule. You probably are just remembering across editions, but the rule's there regardless.

P. 151, PHB. It mentions armor class modifiers for different situations. The third little footnote specifically says pretty much what you mean.

Thanks, I also was under the impression I had imagined that rule.

cybertalus

First Post
Thanks everyone, it was driving me crazy not being able to find that rule.

It's also nice to have it clarified that it's only missile attacks that risk hitting the wrong target in a grapple.

Voodoo

First Post
But don't forget the Improved Precise Shot feat that allows you to choose a target in a grapple without risking hitting the other grappler.

Ferox4

First Post
For what it's worth (which ain't much), we play that there is a 25% chance of hitting the wrong target in a grapple. I don't know if it's a carry over from the old days, but we like the flavor. However, as stated above, by the rules there is no chance of hitting the wrong target (except perhaps on a fumble).

Cheers

Last edited:

Remove ads