• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for a Spell that grants DR/Cold Iron

Navar

Explorer
Shellman said:
Here is another idea,

I believe in Savage Species, there is a feat that allows you to increase your existing DR by like +2. You might even be able to take the feat multiple times. It might be worth checking out.

Yes, you can take it. I think it has been reprented, but the problem is that I will likely take craft wonderous item at level 6 (I play a warlock) and I am feat hungry. So trying to take 3 feats (overall +6) is unrealistic for me.

brehobit

Explorer
moritheil said:
This is cheaper than stoneskin, isn't it? I see you made it lower level too . . . of course, it caps at 5. Hrm.

I like it. I'd probably add a moderately expensive component. "fairy dust" would be ideal, but I have no clue what it is :).

Bad Paper

First Post
no spell should grant DR/cold iron...

...because it goes against the whole idea if DR/cold iron. Read the "Behind the Curtain" at the bottom of page 283 in the 3.5 DMG.

Pardon me, WotC, for quoting two sentences from your book. My Monte have mercy on my soul:

Cold iron's core attribute is its resistance to magic. Making a magic item that mimics this attribute undermines its concept.

So there. No cheating!

Ambrus

Explorer
Originally posted by Bad Paper ...because it goes against the whole idea if DR/cold iron. Read the "Behind the Curtain" at the bottom of page 283 in the 3.5 DMG.

Personally I don't agree with that. It may be a higher level effect, say than creating silver or adamtantite effects with magic, but it shouldn't be impossible. Afterall, even magic resistant cold iron can be enchanted. Saying that magic can't do something is silly considering the outlandish things that magic can regularly do. Raise the dead? Yup! Summon angels? Yup! Enchant cold iron? Now that's crazy talk!!! :p

Staffan

Legend
Bad Paper said:
...because it goes against the whole idea if DR/cold iron. Read the "Behind the Curtain" at the bottom of page 283 in the 3.5 DMG.
Actually, I think that is a perfectly good rationale for having magic giving DR X/cold iron. You increase your toughness... but weapons by that magic-resistant metal ignore your magically enhanced hide.

Now, magic creating cold iron, that's a bad thing, but this is quite the opposite.

Navar

Explorer
Bad Paper said:

Pardon me, WotC, for quoting two sentences from your book. My Monte have mercy on my soul:

DMG said:
Cold iron's core attribute is its resistance to magic. Making a magic item that mimics this attribute undermines its concept.

So there. No cheating!

I am not mimicing the Magic resistance of Cold iron, and besides WOTC has already made a magic item that does this (I just think it is priced wrong)

Another justification for the 10,000 gps price is the fact that Axebane (or whatever) grants DR 5 / Slashing (or whatever) at +2. This is 8,000 gps, and I think that DR 5 / cold iron is a little better than DR 5 / bludging (not much, but a little.)

Diirk

First Post
Navar said:
Another justification for the 10,000 gps price is the fact that Axebane (or whatever) grants DR 5 / Slashing (or whatever) at +2. This is 8,000 gps, and I think that DR 5 / cold iron is a little better than DR 5 / bludging (not much, but a little.)

Er +2 is alot more expensive than 8000gps... it just starts off at 8000gps. But as soon as you want better than +1 armour, the cost raises to 12 000, then 16 000, then 20 000 etc...

Plus yeah, 5/cold iron is very seldom pierced (what dragon has cold iron weapons, after all?) whereas 5/bludgeoning is exceedingly easy to get around. In most campaign worlds, at least.

Navar

Explorer
No, but baddies don't often wield clubs or maces I can't think of the last NPC we ran across that did bludgening damage. Also almost no monster does bludgening damage either. That is what I was thinking. Dragons have to be old to do bludgening damage (not necessaraly "old" but claw claw bite doesn't do blunt damage I think they have to have tail slap to do it.) So it is much less common than Piercing or Slashing. If you have a better cost what would you price it at?

ElectricDragon

Explorer
But their attack modes do have types:

From the SRD:
Natural weapons have types just as other weapons do. The most common are summarized below.
Bite: The creature attacks with its mouth, dealing piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage.
Claw or Talon: The creature rips with a sharp appendage, dealing piercing and slashing damage.
Gore: The creature spears the opponent with an antler, horn, or similar appendage, dealing piercing damage.
Slap or Slam: The creature batters opponents with an appendage, dealing bludgeoning damage.
Sting: The creature stabs with a stinger, dealing piercing damage. Sting attacks usually deal damage from poison in addition to hit point damage.
Tentacle: The creature flails at opponents with a powerful tentacle, dealing bludgeoning (and sometimes slashing) damage.

Emphasis mine.

Ciao
Dave

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads