Looking for advice for starting a high-powered campaign

drquestion

Explorer
I've decided that I want to start a new online campaign, and, although I initially wanted to set it in a relatively low-powered and low-magic homebrew world, I just bought the Oathbound setting from Bastion Press, and it captivated me. So, now I'd like to set my campaign in Oathbound's world of the Forge.

The only problem is that Oathbound is definitely a high-powered campaign - it's reccomended that characters start at 7th level, and that they have 1.5x the standard amount of items. I'm not necessarily against running a high-powered game, but I don't really have any experience doing so. This is going to be an RP-heavy campaign, and I'd like to avoid having it turn into a ridiculous munchkin-fest. Obviously, I'm going to make this clear when I advertise the game (which will be on these boards, after I prepare more), but I know from experience that this might not be enough.

So, I'm looking for tips on how to keep a game in which characters have access to powerful spells/prestige classes/items/etc. from getting out of hand. I've already decided to do the following things:

1. I'm going to pick the character's starting items, with input from the player on what kind of things he would like. There's actually an in-game reason for doing this in Oathbound, too.

2. Restrict the buying and selling of powerful magic items. Since Oathbound is high-magic, I think it would be reasonable to say that potions and scrolls are readily available on the market, as are other items worth up to around 5,000 gp or so, but that anything more expensive than that is difficult to find, and it's also difficult to find a buyer if you want to sell something of that magnitiude.

3. Restrict characters to having only one prestige class. I'll possibly allow two if the character completes the first one and has a good in-game reason for picking up the second one.

I'm also considering completely banning some spells that I see as not necessarily being too powerful, but as taking flavor out of combats. My pet peeve is when every single combat has everyone with some combination of fly, haste, improved invis, divine power, etc. Any thoughts on the banning of spells from the campaign?

Other tips on how to keep high-powered campaigns under control would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
drquestion

Psion

Adventurer
Oathbound already puts the thumbscrews on magic. I wouldn't want to go to far down that path.

Rather, go for countermeasures. If there is that much magic, people are going to have the necessary countermeasures against common tactics. For example, NPCs might have items that give them see invisible or glitterdust.

I'd always require justification for any prestige class, but don't really see the point of restricting multiple prestige classes unless there are certain combinations you feel are especially powerful.

Remove ads