• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Looking for C-5A Galaxy Deck Plan

Morgan Keyes

First Post
RangerJim said:
A couple quick questions for those of you who have been active duty and had to fly on one of these:

1) How were your weapons stored for the flight? Were they locked up? What about small arms - handguns? How strict is this rule followed? Where are the arms lockers located?

2) Were there steps at either end of the passenger area or just the front?

3) I understand that the upper - passenger area also contained two galleys, the cockpit area and sleeping quarters for the spare flight crew. Can you describe those areas?

Thanks,

-RangerJim

1) Either kept with the soldier, or palletized below in the cargo.

2) Steps are located in the "front" of the passenger area. Of note, the passenger seating faces to the rear of the aircraft.

3) Here I can't help as I was always just "Army Cargo". Though I recall having a childrens book on military stuff when I was younger (waaay back in the day) and it had a cut-away of a C-5. I'll have to look for it when I go home next.

RangerJim

First Post
Thanks for your help.

Morgan Keyes said:
2) Steps are located in the "front" of the passenger area. Of note, the passenger seating faces to the rear of the aircraft.

So that means the stairs are in the rear of the aircraft. And the crew and cockpit area are "behind" the seated passengers. Is this correct?

Morgan Keyes said:
... and it had a cut-away of a C-5. I'll have to look for it when I go home next.

That would be great if you you can find it, or can even remember the name of the book.

Thanks again,

-RangerJim

Morgan Keyes

First Post
RangerJim said:
Thanks for your help.

So that means the stairs are in the rear of the aircraft. And the crew and cockpit area are "behind" the seated passengers. Is this correct?

Thanks again,

-RangerJim

My memory is fuzzy on this, but if there is access between the cockpit "capsule" and the passenger area it's only by a very narrow passage and I am more prone to think there is no direct access. If you look at some of the pictures posted of the inside of a C-5 you'll see a forward set of stairs as well. That leads to the cockpit and crew area.

EDIT -Should also add that while there are many cases where soldiers will travel with weapons in hand, unless there is a high chance of combat immediately at their destination then ammo will be palletized in the cargo area, if it's carried at all (ie., as opposed to them being expected to draw from stocks at their destination).

Last edited:

Morgan Keyes

First Post
If you have the National Geographic Channel, their "Megastructures" -series has a recent episode on the C-5 (watching it right now in fact).

-Forward section has Flight Deck, Galley, Crew Bunk Area.

-Rear upper section has rear-facing seating for 70 troops.

Remove ads