• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

looking for complicated plot

Joanne

First Post
Hello,
I am looking for an DnD/D20 adventure, or some plot ideas.

I am looking for an complicated adventure with intriges, conspairacy and an unexpected foe.

the setting where it will take place isnt decided yet, but will be Forgotten Realms or Birthright.

hope someone can help me soon.

lots of thnx

Joanne

DethStryke

Explorer
Well, what are the characters that are playing? The best storylines I've seen were based from the characters and the backgrounds for each.

Are you looking for a more city based adventure or a travel the lands sort? Perhaps some solid reasons to tour from one dungeon to the next?

Joanne

First Post
Well the characters already had adventures based on their history etc. , i agree, those are the best to start with and keep them going for a long while.
but i want something big, something different..

the characters had adventures in and arround athkatla.

i just read the folowing post:
http://test.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7807

the third post, made by magic rub.

thats something like what i am looking for.

Joanne

Painfully

First Post
I don't think you're going to get any takers. Asking for a complex plot is like asking for somebody's movie script. You need to do your homework and put together something yourself before you expect help here.

Just buy a module if you're inexperienced. Or you can read some books on plot and story development, and character development.

There are a variety of standard plots that I'm not about to describe here. With a little practice, it doesn't become too hard to simply overlap and intersect several plots. I do notice that a lot of people that ask for help here on this forum lack character development though (we're talking NPCs for the most part), and that is where things seem to fall apart. Character motivations should be pushing and pulling the action in your game, whether the PCs or NPCs.

People work hard to create what complex plots and stories they have, and it isn't likely that you can just borrow something without some kind of modification. It will pay off much more if you learn what it takes to build a complex plot of your own.

I can help you build your own plots and offer some methods if you like, but I certainly won't offer something I've built from the ground up. You can email me at painfully@mindspring.com

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Well, as for the unexpected foe, what if the party was hired by a wizard to do something, perhaps find an artifact, and they are thwarted at every turn. Turns out that the wizard is the one throwing obstacles in the way. Why? Well, maybe he really wants to kill the party to get back at them for something they did in a previous adventure? Maybe they didn't have any clue that he was the mastermind, but they really ended up cramping his style.

alsih2o

First Post
well, you wanted complicated,,,,

i recently ran a homemade based on a halfling wizard whose bride was burned with him on his funeral pyre.

she had been secretly messing around with elemental magic, and turned into a terrible fire based undead when killed in this horrific manner (based her on the burning ghat from realms of evil i think)

his estate was in a wreck because she came back on the pyre sight every night, and the gate to the estate would only open at dawn, which is when it returned for a brief time from the elemental plane of fire.

his number one hand was an orphaned fighter he had rescued as a young man, he had rust monsters in a pit around a building where he was constructing an iron golem and had a viscious haystack protecting his stable(based on shambling mound, but made of hay and bumped up in cr by a 3xday ability to cast seeds and pollen out of itself brining on hayfever like symptoms to all who failed save in 60 ft)

he had a glass worm in a pool outside his home( another post of mine describes the glass worm) and an animated chandelier as a librarian.

email me for details if you wish so that i can spare everyone else the pain of more info :)

LostSoul

Adventurer
Here's what I would do:

Start off with a simple plot (like "rescue the damsel in distress").

Throw in some mystery right off the bat. Something that tells the players that not all is as it seems.

Come up with at least three different factions. Each has different motives which conflict (dramatically) with the other factions.

Let the PCs seem like pawns but give them clues in the whole thing. Get the PCs personally involved in the bigger plot, so that they become a fourth faction.

Throw in a big twist that changes everything (a la Fight Club).

Leave hooks dangling at the end.

Watch the Maltese Falcon.

roytheodd

First Post
Here's a campaign that I ran in the Kingdoms of Kalamar. I don't know if it's complex enough for you, but if done right it can have the PCs not knowing who to trust....

The campaign was based upon a quest to fetch an item that would free an evil dragon. The PCs were told that they were fetching an item that was sought after by evil-doers so they could carry it into war and slay their foes with ease. The PCs were supposed to get it before evil did. In fact, the item was a key that held a dragon in its lair. The dragon was shackeld by hobgoblins ages ago to prevent it from attacking their settlements. The key was then hidden in a spot where it was thought buried forever. Evil found the key, but was unable to pass through the wards, so they duped good heroes into performing the task. During their travels, the group was harrassed by all sorts of foes that were trying to prevent them from handing the key over to the villians, but the PCs just thought that these were foes who wanted the key for themselves. I tossed in a grip of side adventures and I got the group to travel all up and down Reanaaria Bay (or however you spell it) during the campaign. The campaign came to a close with the group having achieved level 6. It was a great intro to Kalamar for me and the players seemed to really enjoy themselves.

Remove ads