D&D General Looking For D&D Short Story to introduce D&D environment.

EBass

Villager
Hi there, I'm a literature teacher and I'm gonna teach my kids about Tolkien and Tolkien inspired worlds. I thought it would be a cool idea to have them design their own "Adventurers" and play a D&D lite scenario to get them involved.

I really wanna find a short text, that kind of introduces the whole D&D aesthetic through a short story. I know I've come across these things in sourcebooks, like little 6 page or so stories that tell about a short adventure, on an encounter, or something but I can't seem to find one in the few PDF sourcebooks, DM guides and player guides I have here. I wonder if someone can point me in the direction of one?

So to recap I need

A short story (2 to 6 pages or so)
Occurs in a traditional D&D world (No shadowrun or whatever)
That ideally kind of explains/occurs in the D&D dynamic (adventuring party of different classes doing adventure stuff)
Ideally would have some nice visuals as well not just a wall of text. (my students aren't native speakers, so stuff like this is very helpful for them)

Thanks a lot.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'm not quite clear on whether you want a short fantasy story with a bunch of characters similar to a typical group of PCs going on an adventure, or a story that would show players at a table controlling their characters.

If you're looking for the latter, or if the latter would be acceptable, what about showing them some Knights of the Dinner Table? Quite a lot of the strips are even available for free online (kodtweb.com).

EBass

Villager
I'm not quite clear on whether you want a short fantasy story with a bunch of characters similar to a typical group of PCs going on an adventure, or a story that would show players at a table controlling their characters.

The former

Thanks for the ideas, but I'm specifically looking for a party of heroes on an adventure in a D&D like setting in short story form. The sort of thing I've definitely found in sourcebooks before. Something like the below from Shadowrun..

1575603931726.png

If you're looking for the latter, or if the latter would be acceptable, what about showing them some Knights of the Dinner Table? Quite a lot of the strips are even available for free online (kodtweb.com).
or Order of the Stick

Ashrym

Legend
Forums with fanfiction threads or adventure journals are a place a person might look. Enworld has Story Hour, for example.

aco175

Legend
The Dungeons and Dragons cartoons are only 20 minutes long each. The kids would like this so much better than listening and using their imagination, that may lead to doing something creative.

Remove ads