Looking for discussion questions for my gaming podcast!

UltimaGabe

First Post
Hello, Enworld!

I'm the host of a tabletop gaming podcast called Inter-Party Conflict. We discuss listener-submitted questions about D&D and other tabletop games, and try to have a fun time doing it. Since our format is almost entirely based on submissions, I'm here to get some questions from you!

Do you have any issues with a player at your gaming table? Maybe a rules dispute you'd like another opinion on? Want some suggestions for your next character or campaign concept?

Let us know! Reply here, message me, or e-mail me at InterPartyConflict@gmail.com! We'd love to help you have the best tabletop gaming experience possible.

Last edited:

Typhon58

First Post
I'll go ahead and throw in on this. I'll also preface this by stating I have talked to the DM multiple times about this, so this isn't just throwing a hissy on the internet.

So, I'm currently in a 5e game being ran by a long time friend of mine. Besides him and myself, everyone else at the table is basically brand new to TRPG's in general. I brought these new players to the group and because of that even though I'm not running it, I feel partially responsible for making sure they have a good time at the table. For the most part, things are going well, however....

The DM has absolutely ZERO concept of scaling and game balance.

From character creation the guidelines he had set up made essentially every character amazing. For example, in a party of a Cleric (Me), a Fighter, a Barbarian, and a Sorcerer at 1st level, 18 is the median AC. I first thought "Ok, we're playing a bunch of badasses, that's cool. Gives the new guys the chance to feel like heroes in a big world able to do epic things." But that wasn't the case. Yes, we had really good stats, however turns out everything and everyone else was better. The first two session we fought bandits that 15 attack rolls couldn't hit. They also usually one/two shot-ed us and with me being the cleric with a whole 2 spell slots, I usually couldn't get to them or didn't have any slots left to heal. Also the bare minimum we would fight was 4 at a time.

Now all of this I could forgive. At this point, the rest of the guys are having a good time and that's the point right? However, here comes the best part. Because we all kept dropping, the DM decided that to counteract this ridiculousness, he would give me a Ring of true Resurrection...at level 2. The only limitation is I can only use it once per day. He also wanted to make death saving throws not reset, so if you fall 3 times you die, but luckily I was able to talk him off that ledge. Also at one point he wanted to throw mogwai's into the campaign...because why not. Now with all that info out of the way, here's my question/talking point.

I feel like the DM is just going with what sounds cool to him vs an actually balanced game. Where what was advertised as a high sorcery adventure has become, in 3 sessions, a convoluted fever dream of edgy, pop cultured laced mathematical nonsense. At this point the rest group isn't even enjoying it, which I feel terrible about. I don't want to sound like a rules lawyer or fun police, but I ask you where is the line between rule of cool vs RAW? When does it become too much of one side or other? At what point do you as a player stop and say "Hey, this is getting ridiculous.". I have nothing personal against the DM, again he's a long time friend of mine, but the rest of the group have decided that we're not playing anymore and I'd hate for this to be their one exposure to RPG's. In the future, at what times is it acceptable to challenge the DM so that another group of gamers isn't turned off by one campaign? Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings, appreciate any and all suggestions.

Last edited:

Remove ads